Curd rice and Pickle, the best couple, known to have the greatest chemistry, in Indian cooking ever. Curd rice is simple, comfort and tummy friendly dish. It is an easy to digest dish and is good for all ages. Being very simple to make many people's and student's lunch boxes are filled with curd rice!!!! It is very simple to make, tastes great and is one of the favorites for vegetarians. Curd/Yogurt apart from being tasty also serves goodness to health. It has helpful bacteria that helps in digestion; avoid and cure bowel problems, constipation; contains Calcium, Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fat. Skimmed/low fat curd contains low fat content that is good for people with high levels of cholesterol!!!! So, lets see how to make this simple, yummy dish!!!
- Boiled/Cooked Rice - 2 cup
- Curd/Yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Boiled milk - 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves (optional)
- Curry leaves
- Ginger - 1/2 inch long piece (optional)
- Green chillies - 1 (or) Dry red chillies - 2
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 spoon
- Refined oil/Any cooking oil - 2 spoons
- Take the boiled rice and mash it well when it is hot. Do not use hands.
- Add milk to the mashed rice and mix well using a big spoon.
- Now add curd, salt and mix well.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves (optional), chopped ginger pieces, chopped green chillies and mix well. (If you are adding red chillies instead of green chillies please take a look at TIP 2)
- In a pan add oil, splutter mustard seeds, add curry leaves and add this mixture to the rice mixture and mix well.
- Serve with pickle!!!!
TIP 1: Ginger gives a good flavor and taste to the rice, but it is optional. Also coriander leaves gives a great flavor when added but optional.
TIP 2: Dry red chillies can be added instead of green chillies. But it must be fried along with the mustard seeds and then added. It should not be added raw! This gives an unique flavor and taste to the recipe.
TIP 3: You can change the thickness of the rice by altering the volume of milk.
TIP 4: Add More curd (in the ratio Curd:Milk - 3/4 cup:1/4 cup) if you like more sour taste. Or more milk if you want the milky mild taste (in the ratio Curd:Milk - 1/4 cup:3/4 cup)
TIP 5: Do not over fry the curry leaves!! Remove immediately from flame when it is still green in color.
Tastes great with pickle, the best combination for a curd rice!! No need of an extra side-dish.. You will just get melted after tasting. Try it today!!!