Onion Pakoras make a brilliant snack during tea time. It is one of the famous snacks of Tamil Nadu. It is crispy and tasty and very easy to make!! Onions, being the basic ingredient of any dish, contains Carbohydrates, Proteins, Sodium, Chromium, Vitamins A & C. Inclusion of these onions in cooking benefits health in may ways. Now lets see the required ingredients and preparation method for onion pakoras.
- Onions - 2
- Besan flour/Gram flour - 1/2 cup
- Rice flour - 2 spoons
- Roasted Chana dhal powder - 1 spoon (optional)
- Red chilli powder - 1 spoon
- Green Chillies - 1
- Curry leaves
- Asafoetida/Hing - A pinch
- Refined oil/Any cooking oil
- Chop onion length-wise and keep it aside.
- In a bowl add the following and mix well without adding water;
- Chopped onions + Besan Flour/Gram flour + Rice flour + Asafoetida/Hing + Chana dhal flour + Red chilli powder + Chopped green chillies + Curry leaves + Salt.
- Mix the above ingredients well using hands. After mixing well add little water may be 1/4 cup.
- The batter should not be watery, but thick.
- In a pan add oil, after it heats up just add small irregular amounts of the batter into oil and deep fry it until it turns into golden brown color.
- Serve plain or with sauce.
TIP 1: Roasted chana dhal powder is prepared by grinding the roasted chana dhal. It adds Taste to your crispy pakoras. But it is optional.
TIP 2: Rice flour adds crispiness to the preparation. But, do not add too much of rice flour, because the pakoras will become hard.
TIP 3: The pakoras have a natural color so no need of adding any extra food color.
An ideal snack for tea time is ready!!!! It is so crispy and also tasty that you will grab more!!! Who wouldn't love a crispy snack with a refreshing cup of tea??