Biryani, the most aromatic and tastiest dish, is a famous recipe in India. There are varieties of Biryani available all over the country. It is a special Indian food recipe that is prepared on several occasions and served for the guests. This is the easiest chicken biryani recipe and tasty too! South Indian Biryanis are prepared using a rice variety called 'seeraga samba', it tastes so good but I've used Basmati rice here. Try this on weekends and enjoy a delicious lunch at your home.
(Serves 6 - 8 people)
- Basmati rice - 500 grams
- Chicken - 500 gram
- Big Onion - 4
- Green chillies - 10
- Coriander leaves - A handful
- Mint leaves - A handful
- Coconut - 1/2 of a coconut / Coconut milk - 2 cups
- Ginger - 1 inch long piece
- Garlic pods - 4
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Cardamom pods - 8
- Cinnamon stick - 2 (2 inch long sticks)
- Cashew nuts - 10
- Lemon - 1
- Curd - 5 spoons
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Red chilli powder - 2 spoons
- Coriander powder - 2 spoons
- Oil - 10 spoons
- Ghee - 5 spoons
- Wash rice well and soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Wash chicken pieces well in water. Slice the onions and keep aside.
- Grind the coconut and extract 2 cups of milk from it and keep aside.
- Extract juice from the lemon and keep aside. Do not add water.
- Grind the following into a fine paste and keep aside.
- Ginger + Garlic pods + Cardamom pods + Cashew nuts
- In a large vessel add oil and ghee, after it heats up add bay leaf, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and saute for few seconds.
- Now fry sliced onions for a minute.
- Add the chopped coriander and mint leaves and fry for 2 minutes.
- Then add the prepared fine paste of ginger and garlic and stir well until the raw smell leaves.
- Now add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder.
- Then add lemon juice, curd and coconut milk stir well. Check for salt.
- Then add the chicken pieces and stir well, close the vessel with a lid and cook for 3 minutes on low flame.
- Open the lid and stir well.
- Then add the soaked rice, and half a cup of water and stir very slightly. Do not stir too much because the rice grains will break.
- Close the lid and cook on low flame for 10minutes.
- Remove from flame and leave the vessel closed for 15 minutes.
- Serve with onion raita!!
TIP 1: Use seeraga samba rice if available.
TIP 2: Always while preparing biryani follow this ratio to get the best taste.
Delicious aromatic and rich Biryani is now ready!!! Enjoy with any spicy gravy!!!