Am happy to announce that this is my 100th post:) Thanks for all the lovely support dear friends.
An event with a give away coming soon to celebrate this!! Do visit everyday for updates :)
- Fish pieces - 6 (I used Sankara fish/Red snapper, approximately 2-3 fishes)
- Coconut - 1/2 of a small coconut (or) 10 pieces 1 inch sized
- Tamarind - 1 inch sized ball
- Big Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 spoon
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Curry leaves - Few
- Red chilli powder - 3 spoon (2 spoons for lesser spiciness)
- Coriander powder - 2 spoons
- Cashew nuts - 6 or 8
- Poppy seeds - 1 spoon
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 spoon
- Bay leaf - 1
- Oil - 5 spoons
- Wash fish pieces well. (click here to know how to clean fishes properly)
- Make a fine paste of the following;
- Coconut pieces + Poppy seeds + Cashews
- Soak tamarind in a cup of water for 15 minutes and extract the juice from it and set aside.
- Meanwhile chop onions and tomatoes.
- In a pan add oil, after it heats up add fennel seeds, bay leaf, curry leaves, chopped onions and saute well till the onion gets cooked well and becomes slightly brownish.
- Then add salt and ginger garlic paste and saute well until the raw smell leaves.
- Now add the tomatoes and mix well till it turns pulpy and gets mixed well.
- Add the dry powders, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and stir well.
- Add the coconut paste and mix well, till the raw smell leaves.
- Then add the tamarind extract and stir well.
- Cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Add the washed fish pieces and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until the fishes gets cooked.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
- Then remove from flame and serve!!
TIP 1: Do not stir the curry after adding the fish pieces, otherwise the fish will break easily.
TIP 2: Add coconut milk if you dont want to add coconut pieces. While making the paste see that it is very fine or else it won't come out well. This rule applies for every fish gravy preparation.
TIP 3: Soak cashews and poppy seeds in hot water for 30 minutes and then make a paste out of it, if you are going to add coconut milk instead of coconut pieces.
Delicious Fish Curry / Meen Kuruma is now ready. Enjoy the rich flavored curry with Rice or any bread varieties.
Liked my recipes?? Why don't you subscribe for my recipes? Its free :)
Or simply enter your mail id;