Rinds are nothing but fleshy outer skins of fruits. Water melon has a whitish rind between the red sweet part and the outer green skin. This fleshy white portion can be used for making stir-fry, curries and side-dishes. It is less sweet than the fleshy red portion of the watermelon but has the watermelon flavor in it. These rinds have a crunchy texture and tastes similar to cucumber. You can make curries, gravies, stir-fries using these watermelon rinds. Just use these rinds like you will use snake-gourd. Read further to know how to chop these rinds for using them in preparations.
Check out my watermelon kootu (side-dish) by clicking here!!
- Watermelon rinds (I got 250 grams of chopped rinds from a small watermelon fruit)
TOOLS & GADGETS REQUIRED
- A sharp knife or Peeler - 1
- Chopping board - 1
- Tupperware box / Normal box - For storing chopped rinds
METHODHow to chop water melon rinds for preparing stir-fry(poriyal or kootu), Curries and Gravies (Kulambu), soups, etc.
- Collect the leftover rinds of the watermelon.
- Peel off the hard outer green skin using a knife or peeler. A knife will work better if you have cut them into slices.
- Remove the red fleshy and sweet layers if any using a knife.
- Then chop them into smaller cubes and refrigerate them for future use. Store in Tupperware boxes to maintain freshness.
- Use within 2 days.
Use these for making stir-fries, curry, gravies, side-dishes etc!!
Check out my Watermelon Kootu/Sabzi preparation by clicking here!!