Have you cooked a curry/masala with mutton fat? If not give a try next time, you will definitely love it. At home mom prepares this very often when she finds some good mutton fat along with the mutton pieces. The curry will be rich, oily and creamy in consistency and also will serve a good side-dish for variety rice, rasam and rice, sambar and rice, dosa, idli, rotis and what not! This is such an easy to prepare curry which can be prepared in minutes and the best part is it goes great as sides with any main dish. There is a similar version in Chettinad cuisine too, where the mutton fat is used to prepare a gravy but this curry is different from the Chettinad version. The curry should be served hot to enjoy the best taste and texture. It is a very fatty curry obviously and cannot be not recommended for regular or frequent consumption but once in a while is definitely a treat for taste buds.
INGREDIENTSServes 1 or 2 people as sides
Total Preparation Time - 10 minutes
- Mutton fat - 5 medium sized pieces (katti kolupu)
- Big onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- Green chillies - 1
- Curry leaves - Few
- Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 2 pinches
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - As required
- Lemon juice - 1 teaspoon
- Oil - 2 teaspoons
- Pick out fat pieces from the mutton meat pieces, chop off any extra meat that might be sticking to the fat. Wash this fat in running water.
- Place a small kadai or pan on flame and pour oil into it. After it heats up add curry leaves and cumin seeds and let it splutter. Then add finely chopped onions, slit green chilli and saute until it turns translucent.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute, then add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and saute on low flame.
- Sprinkle some water if necessary.
- Then add the mutton fat pieces and saute for a minute or two.
- Now pour water until the fat pieces gets immersed well. Then cook on low flame until the curry thickens well.
- Drizzle lemon juice stir well and remove from flame.
- Serve hot!!
TIP 1: You can make the same masala with chicken, mutton and liver too. If using chicken liver or chicken you can follow the above procedure if you are using mutton or mutton liver then you must pressure cook it.
TIP 2: Try to use thick mutton fat which will not easily dissolve.
Super tasty fat masala is now ready!! Serve hot as sides of curry with rice or roti or dosa!!