Roasted gram (Pottukadalai or porikadalai) ladoo is my most favorite among ladoos, it is such a simple recipe and I have been following the same from my childhood. Whenever I get a sweet tooth and feel like munching on a home-made snack, I opt for this ladoo as just very few common ingredients from the kitchen pantry would be enough and there's no excess effort needed. This has been my family favorite too, I do not know from where I got the recipe, but its a keeper. These golden ladoos are not ghee dominant, but has a subtle ghee flavor that makes the you want more. You can customize it according to your wish and add more ghee if you like it that way. For Besan Ladoo (ladoo using gram flour) recipe click here!!
INGREDIENTSMakes 7 to 8 ladoos
Total Preparation time - 10 to 15 minutes
- Roasted Gram / Pottukadalai / Porikadalai - 1 cup (nearly 3 hands full)
- Sugar - 1/2 cup (nearly 4 to 5 tablespoons)
- Cardamom pods - 5
- Cashews - 10 to 15 (Optional)
- Almonds - 5 (Optional)
- Grated coconut - 1 tablespoon (Optional)
- Ghee - 2 tablespoons
- Milk - 3 tablespoons or as required
- Take a pan, place on flame and dry roast (i.e. without oil) cashews and almonds on low flame for a few minutes. Set aside until it cools down well. A slight brown shade is enough, do not roast for long. (You can skip the addition of nuts if you wish, the ladoos will still taste great)
- Grind together roasted gram, sugar and cardamom pods until it turns super fine.
- Now add the nuts and grind again. (Optionally you can sieve the ground mixture to get the finer powder)
- Transfer the ground powder to a bowl, add grated coconut (optional) and pour melted ghee, mix well with your fingers.
- Then sprinkle milk little by little and mix well until the dough turns wet and you are able to hold it into a ball that does not crumble or fall apart. It should be just wet not sticky, so take care to add milk little by little, if in-case your ladoo dough turns sticky then add some more roasted gram powder.
- Now pinch out small portions and roll it into ladoos / balls.
TIP 2: Whatever cup you use, make sure to add sugar and roasted gram in the ratio 1:2. The sweetness will be perfect, but you can reduce sugar if you like subtle sweetness.