Lets start the new year with a sweet note so that this year might be super pleasing, delightful and good to all of you in all ways I pray! So here's an easy to prepare payasam or kheer using potatoes that tastes divine and makes a super festive dessert. Potatoes are an all rounder and this dish will leave you amazed about how versatile this tuber is. And if you are a potato lover you should not miss trying this one. A good thing about this dessert is it is gluten free. If you do try don't forget to share your feedbacks with us. Leave a comment below or just send me an email.
INGREDIENTSServes one person
Total Preparation Time - 25 minutes
- Potato - 1/2 of one big sized potato
- Milk - 250 ml
- Rice flour - 4 teaspoons
- Sugar - 4 teaspoons (or 6 teaspoons)
- Condensed milk - 1 tablespoon (sweetened; I used milkmaid)
- Cardamom pods - 3 or 4
- Ghee - 2 teaspoons
- Chopped nuts - 1 teaspoon (Cashews & Almonds preferably)
- Wash potatoes and chop them into cubes. Then drop the cubes into a saucepan filled with water and place on flame. Cover and boil until the cubes gets cooked well. The potatoes should be easily mash-able. At this stage remove from flame.
- Take the pieces and remove the skin, then mash them well and set aside. You can optionally steam potatoes or even pressure cook them to quicken cooking.
- Then pour some milk into a saucepan or pot and place on flame.
- Let it come to a boil, then add sugar, cardamom pods and stir well. Wait until the milk gets 3/4th of its original volume, then add the mashed potatoes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on low flame.
- Mix rice flour with little water and make a paste out of it. Then pour it into the payasam. Stir well and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. (do not pour too much of water)
- Now pour condensed milk stir well.
- Fry nuts in ghee until golden and add it into the payasam.
- When done remove from flame and serve hot or chilled.
TIP 1: Rice flour is completely optional but it gives a creamy texture to the dessert and infact makes the payasam taste yummier too.
TIP 2: If you love some extra flavor just add 1/8 tsp of rose essence into the payasam just before you remove the payasam from flame.