Are you a fan of ginger or chicken or are you suddenly craving for ginger-y spicy curry with juicy chicken pieces in it? Then this one is for you! This goes great with rasam and rice or as sides with any pulao, biryani or even with dosa or rotis varieties. The aroma from this curry will fill your kitchen as you cook! You can replace chicken with mushroom, paneer or even cauliflower. Making this lip-smacking curry isn't tough either, do try and let me know how you much enjoyed it!
Total Preparation Time - 25 minutes
- Chicken leg pieces - 2
- Onion - 1
- Ginger - 2 grams chopped finely
- Red chilli powder - 2 teaspoons
- Curry leaves - From 2 sprigs
- Oil - 50 ml
- Salt - As per taste
To Grind (For masala)
- Ginger - 5 grams (washed and peeled)
- Small onions / Shallots - 5 (peeled)
- Coconut grated - 2 teaspoons
- Peppercorns - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds - 2 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned under 'To Grind' into a smooth paste. Add water if needed.
- Now place a kadai on flame, pour oil and wait until it heats up.
- Add sliced big onions and saute until it turns slightly brown. Then add curry leaves and chopped ginger (2 grams) and saute for a minute on low flame.
- Add red chilli powder, salt and stir well.
- Then add the chicken pieces and saute well.
- Now add the ground masala and stir well.
- Add chicken now and give a good mix.
- Pour 400 ml of water and stir.
- Cook on a low flame until the curry thickens and chicken gets cooked and tender.
- Remove from flame and serve.
TIP: You can make the same recipe using mutton pieces also. Just pressure cook the mutton pieces for 20 minutes and then make the masala.