Here's an easy orange jelly recipe using agar! This one will be a huge crowd pleaser and definitely earn you praises. Like I always say agar agar or the china grass is very easy to handle and is beginner friendly too. If you have any doubts please check out the video below on youtube where I have demonstrated how to make this jelly for a cooking show (kitchen galatta suntv).
INGREDIENTSTotal Preparation Time - 30 minutes (includes refrigerating time also)
- Orange Juice - 300 ml (or from 2 Oranges, do not add any water just extract the juice)
- Agar agar strips - 5 grams
- Orange essence - 1.5 teaspoons
- Orange food color - 1/8 teaspoon
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Chop agar agar into smaller pieces and wash well. Squeeze off excess water and use.
- Place a saucepan on flame and add 200 ml of water and add the chopped agar agar stripes into it. Wait until it dissolves well and there's no tit bits left out. It might take sometime but it will dissolve very well.
- Using a sieve or filter remove the dirt or any undissolved bits of agar.
- Add sugar (powdered will be better) and stir well. (Make sure to wash the sieve well soon as the jelly will start to solidify quickly)
- Meanwhile extract juice from oranges without adding water. If you want, cut oranges into half, remove the flesh carefully and use the orange peel as cups. Check out the above video to know how to peel so.
- To the extracted orange juice add food color, essence and stir well.
- Wait until the agar agar solution turns warm, then add the fresh orange juice mix into it. Do not add when its too hot as it may become bitter. And make sure that the agar solution is still liquid, if not heat it again and use.
- Pour into moulds or bowls or into the orange peel cups and refrigerate until it becomes firm. It might take up to 20 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and serve!
TIP 1: Always make sure that agar agar dissolves in water if it doesn't dissolve it will not become firm.