Here's a video recipe that I made recently for my youtube channel. It is a very simple and easy to prepare dessert that kids will love and enjoy to the fullest. It is a vegetarian jelly recipe, has so many flavors in it and much healthier as we are using agar agar here. To know the health benefits of agar agar click here. Here's how to prepare this colorful and interesting recipe.
INGREDIENTSTotal Preparation Time - 20 minutes
- Agar Agar - 10 grams
- Milk - 500 ml
- Water - 500 ml
- Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
- Strawberry essence - 1 tsp
- Pineapple / Cardamom essence - 1 tsp
- Food colors (Liquid / Gel colors) - Few drops
- Sugar - 15-20 tablespoons
Short video tutorial for making broken glass jelly
- Check my video so you can understand better.
- Chop agar agar into smaller strips and wash well in water. Squeeze well to remove water. Add half of it (i.e. 5 grams) into saucepan and pour milk into it. Add 10 tablespoons of sugar and stir well. Let it boil well, wait until agar completely dissolves in milk, use a sieve to remove undissolved bits if any and set aside.
- Add the remaining strips into another saucepan and add water and 10 tbsp sugar. Place on flame and wait patiently until it dissolves really well and seems clear. Sieve if needed and keep aside.
- Keep the milk mixture as it is and make sure it stays in liquid form, if it starts solidifying heat it up a little and keep aside.
- Now separate the water agar mixture into three different portions and mix colors and essence into each of them. I used vanilla, strawberry and pineapple. You can use essence and colors of your choice.
- Refrigerate all three portions for 5 minutes or until it seems firm. Remove from refrigerator and chop all of them into smaller cubes.
- Put them inside a pan and mix them gently. Pour the milk agar mixture over this and tap the pan gently for the pieces to spread evenly. (Make sure the mixture is warm not hot and is at liquid state)
- Now place the pan inside the refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes or until it sets well. You can also leave it outside, agar sets well even without refrigeration.
- Remove from pan carefully and cut into cubes. Serve :)
TIP 1: Agar agar takes some extra time to get dissolved. Just wait patiently. If there are any undissolved tit bits just use a sieve to remove them and make sure to wash your sieve soon as the jelly gets set in minutes.
TIP 2: Refrigeration quickens the process, but you can set the jelly in room temperature also.