This delicious chickpea coconut gravy goes well with Rice, Chapathi, Pooris and any kind of Indian bread. Lets see how to prepare this recipe!
- Chickpea / Kondakadalai - 100 grams
- Potato - 1
- Big Onion - 1
- Coconut - one half side of it
- Coriander leaves - Few
- Curry leaves - Few (From 2 sprigs)
- Cashew nuts (or) Roasted Channa dhal (Pottu kadalai) - 1 spoon (optional)
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 spoon
- Curd (sourless) - 3 spoons
- Cinnamon stick - small piece
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) - 2 teaspoons
- Saunf - 2 spoons
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chillies - 3 or 4
- Coriander powder - 2 spoons
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - As required
- Refined oil / Gingelly oil /Any edible oil
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight or atleast for 6 hours. If you have forgotten to soak and don't have enough time you can add hot water to chickpeas and soak it for atleast 3 hours.
- Peel off the skin from potatoes and cut it into big cubes.
- Grind coconut, roasted chana dal or cashews, 1 spoon cumin seeds, 1 spoon saunf, 3 green chillies and Cinnamon stick. Make a fine paste out of it by sprinkling some water while grinding and keep it aside.
- Place a cooker on flame and add oil, after it heats up add mustard seeds, let it splutter then add cumin seeds, saunf and curry leaves and wait until it splutters.
- Then add onions saute well until it becomes golden brown.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and stir well.
- Once the raw smell leaves add the soaked chickpeas and cubed potatoes and saute for a minute.
- Then add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and mix well.
- Saute until raw smell leaves, then add coconut paste and stir well, add enough water or until the chickpeas gets well immersed in water and there is 1 inch water above chickpeas.
- Now add chopped coriander leaves and close the cooker with the lid. Pressure cook for 10 to 15 mins on low flame.
- Remove from flame, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice, roti, chapati, naan etc.
Its so tasty, your family members will want you to add it in the next week's menu also! Try it out soon!!!