Coconut chutney is one of my favorite dip. There are lots of chutneys prepared in India. Chutneys are made with different vegetables and Indian spices. This is another dip which is healthy and very easy to make. Coconut is one of the main ingredient in a lot of Indian food. recipes, it is packed with nutrients and so very good for health. Coconut makes dishes taste more richer. This is an instant dip that can be used as dips for Dosa, Idly, Vada, Poori. The second pic is thogayal which recipe is similar and can be found here.
- Coconut - 8 pieces (1 inch long) or Grated coconut - 10 spoons
- Green chillies - 1 or 2
- Curry leaves - 2 or 3
- Garlic pods - 1
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Roasted chana dal - 3 teaspoons (optional)
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
For seasoning (for making chutney)
- Pearl onions - 2
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
- Urad dal / Skinned black gram / Ulutham paruppu - 1/2 spoon
- Curry leaves - 2
- Oil - 2 teaspoons
- Coconut Chutney/Coconut Dip/Thengai Chutney.
- Grind all the ingredients (except seasoning ingredients) together until it becomes a paste.
- Heat a pan add oil and fry mustard seeds, skinned black gram, chopped onions and curry leaves for a minute.
- Add the coconut paste and 1/4 cup of water to the pan and add salt if necessary.
- Remove immediately from flame and serve!!
TIP 1: Both the recipes are delicious. If you do not want to have the dip raw seasoning it is the best idea.
TIP 2: Roasted chana dal increases the taste and quantity. But anyway it is optional.
Coconut Chutney/Coconut Dip/Thengai Chutney is now ready. Goes good with Vada, Dosa, Idly and Poori.