Rice is the predominant main dish of South India, like chapathi for North India. There are varieties of gravies and side-dishes accompanied with rice. Rice is rich in carbohydrates and hence gives instant energy, suitable for all ages and easily digestible. Coconut rice is another Traditional South Indian Food Recipe made using coconuts and certain spices. Coconut rice tastes delicious and is very aromatic. The preparation varies from region to region. Below is a simple recipe which tastes so yummy without any extra effort!! Coconuts are rich in fiber, minerals and vitamins. My version of the Coconut rice can be done with few ingredients that are already available in the Kitchen. It is so rich in taste, aromatic and less spicy. This rice can be accompanied with any spicy gravy or masala. Mutton masala or mutton curry would be the perfect match and for vegetarians peas masala or any spicy vegetable curry or masala will do. Lets see how to make this delicious and rich recipe!!
Instead of always making the same spicy biryanis for special days or weekends, try this simple, yet yummy, rich, aromatic and delicious Coconut Rice/Thengai Sadam. Unlike Biryanis, it needs only little effort and at the same time its a special dish too.
- Coconut - 1 / Coconut milk - 1.5 cups
- Basmati Rice/Ordinary rice - 1.5 cups
- Big onions - 1
- Cardamom pods - 3
- Cinnamon stick - 1/2 inch long piece
- Bay leaf - 1
- Star anise/Biryani flower - 1
- Ghee/Oil - 3 spoons
- If you are going to use coconut milk go to step 2 directly. Grind the pieces of coconut and extract coconut milk from it and keep aside.
- Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes.
- In a pan add oil/ghee and all the spices; star anise, cardamom pods, cinnamon, and bay leaf fry for a minute.
- Then add chopped onions, salt and fry until it turns slightly brownish.
- Now add the soaked rice and mix well for a minute.
- Add 1.5 cups of extracted coconut milk and 1.5 cups of water (i.e. in the ratio 1:1) mix well and close the lid of the cooker.
- Cook for perfectly 10 minutes and remove from flame.
- Open the lid after 10 minutes and Serve!!!
TIP 1: You can also add coconut and water in the ratio 2:1, i.e. 2 cups of coconut milk and one cup of water for 1.5 cups of rice.
TIP 2: Basmati rice enhances the taste and smells good, but its optional.
TIP 3: If saffron is available add a pinch of it in a spoon of milk, keep aside for 2 minutes and add it in the cooker while preparing the coconut rice. Also you can fry cashews in ghee and add it to the rice.
TIP 4: Instead of using cooker you can also use any vessel for cooking but it will take 15-20 minutes to get cooked. All the ratios and levels are the same for both pressure cooking and ordinary cooking.
Aromatic, Rich, Delicious, Coconut Rice is ready!!! Have it with some spicy curry like, chicken curry or mutton curry, peas masala, Cauliflower masala, Spicy vegetable curry etc!!! Try it and you will love it!!!
One of my faves! Looks very good.ReplyDelete
That's my favourite too Anudivya!!ReplyDelete
Thanks for visiting.. Do come back again..