Curd rice and Pickle together is the best combo ever don't you agree? Curd rice is such a humble and simple food that goes easy on the tummy. If surveyed it must be the top dish that goes into every student's or office goer's lunch box. Curd has helpful bacteria that helps in digestion; avoid and cure bowel troubles, constipation; provides Calcium, Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fat. There are different methods to make this simple curd rice but here's my version that gives you a super creamy delicious and subtle flavored one. I love it with spicy karuvadu thokku :)
Makes Curd rice for one person
Total Preparation Time - 20 minutes (including cooking rice)
- Boiled/Cooked Rice - 2 cup
- Curd - 1/2 cup (Not very sour)
- Boiled milk - 1/2 cup (add more if needed)
- Coriander leaves - Few
- Curry leaves - Few
- Ginger - 1/2 inch long piece shredded
- Green chillies - 1 (or) Dry red chillies - 2
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Refined oil/Any cooking oil - 2 spoons
- Take boiled rice in a heat proof bowl and and mash it well using a ladle, when it is still hot.
- Add milk to the mashed rice and mix well.
- Now add curd, salt and mix well.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves (optional), chopped ginger pieces, chopped green chillies and mix well. (If you are adding red chillies instead of green chillies please take a look at TIP 2)
- In a pan add oil, splutter mustard seeds, add curry leaves and add this mixture to the rice mixture and mix well. Garnish with pomegranate or some carrot strips and serve hot with pickle :)
TIP 1: Dry red chillies can be added instead of green chillies. But it must be fried along with the mustard seeds and then added. It should not be added raw! This gives an unique flavor and taste to the recipe.
TIP 2: Milk balances the taste perfectly and also adds creaminess to the dish.
TIP 4: Add More curd (in the ratio Curd:Milk - 3/4 cup:1/4 cup) if you want it a little sour and reduce milk.
TIP 5: Do not over fry the curry leaves. Remove immediately from flame when it is still green in color.