Fishes are a good source of Protein, Omega 3 fatty acid, Minerals and are low in fat. It is proven to be good for heart and eyesight, apart from health benefits they are delicious too. It is simple to cook and serves a treat to tongues!! This recipe has a tangy and spicy flavor due to the addition of tamarind and red chillies. It can be accompanied with Rice, Idly, Dosa, Chapathi, Poori, Roti, etc.
- Fish - 250 grams
- Small onions - 8
- Red chillies - 10 or 12 (alter according to the spiciness you need)
- Cumin seeds/Jeera - 2 spoons
- Tamarind - one inch size ball
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Curry leaves
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 spoon
- Fenugreek seeds/Methi seeds - 1/4 spoon
- Gingelly oil/Any cooking oil
- Wash the fish pieces well in water. Then marinate the fish pieces using salt and turmeric powder and leave it undisturbed for few minutes. Then wash it again.
- Make a fine paste of the following;
- Red chillies + Cumin seeds/Jeera + 2 Small onions.
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 minutes, after ten mins mash the soaked tamarind well using fingers and extract the juice and keep it aside.
- In a pan add oil, mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Then add curry leaves, chopped onions and fry well.
- Now add the prepared paste and mix well.
- Then add the prepared tamarind extract and mix well. Add a cup of water or more according to the consistency you want.
- When the mixture boils add the fish pieces and cook on low flame without disturbing the fish pieces.
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until the fish gets cooked.
- In another pan add oil, mustard seeds, chopped onions and curry leaves and add it to the gravy.
- Turn off the flame and Serve !!!
TIP 1: You can add coconut milk to it to give richness. But this is the traditionally prepared fish gravy.
TIP 2: Small onions are not compulsory, you can also use Big onions.
TIP 3: While making a paste you can omit the addition of small onions. It is not a must, small onions when added to make a paste will enhance the gravy's flavor.
Tangy, spicy fish gravy is ready!! Have it with hot rice, chapathi etc..