Potatoes are one of the favorite vegetables for everyone especially kids. Kids who seem to hate vegetables love potatoes!!! Potatoes are rich in carbohydrates that gives energy to the body, also it contains Vitamins like B, C and minerals like, Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc and Phosphorous which are good for skin!!! It is a healthy vegetable, but fried potato chips are not advisable due to high calorie content (150-160 calories). At the same time baked chips are really good. Anyhow, a recent research has found that cooked potatoes contains only 26 calories!! Apart from health benefits potatoes tastes good and can be accompanied with any kind of dishes.
There are wide range of potato recipes. This is a simple, yet Hot, Spicy, Delicious potato fry. It is so delicious and can be had as a side dish for Sambar rice, Curd rice, Chapathi and Poori. Its very simple and easy to make and can be done in minutes!! Here the dry fenugreek leaves gives a special aroma to the potatoes and makes it even more flavorful. Serves as a great side dish. Lets see how to make this hot and spicy potato fry.
- Potatoes - 3 or 150 grams (Cubed)
- Big onions - 1
- Dried Fenugreek leaves/Kasoori Methi/Kaaindha vendhaya keerai - A pinch (optional)
- Red chilli powder - 1.5 tablespoons (reduce if you do not want it spicy)
- Sambar powder - 1 teaspoon
- Mustard - 1/4 spoon
- Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Refined oil/Any edible cooking oil - 3 ablespoons
- Wash then peel off the skin from potatoes and cut it into small cubes.
- In a pan add oil, after it heats up add mustard seeds let it splutter, then add cumin seeds/jeera and fry well.
- Now add chopped onions and fry until it turns brown in color.
- Then add salt, red chilli powder, sambar powder and potatoes, stir well.
- Sprinkle some water and close the lid. Cook for 3 minutes in low flame.
- Open the lid, add Kasoori Methi leaves and stir well. Close the lid and cook for another 5 minutes or until the potato cube gets smashed when pressed.
- Do not over cook!! Remove from flame and serve with hot rice.
TIP 1: You can also prepare the fry without peeling the skin, it gives an additional taste. But take care that you wash the potatoes well before using.
TIP 2: You can also add half cup of water and cook the potatoes to get a masala or semi-gravy consistency. It can be used for chapathi, poori, roti varieties as a dip or side-dish.
It is so appealing to your taste buds that you will grab more and eat!! When served with hot samba rice or curd rice it becomes a real delicacy!! Try it and Enjoy!!
Post a Comment
Thanks for the visit. Do drop in your valuable comments and suggestions :) Please do not add any links to your site/blog such comments will not be published. Click on notify me and get notified about my reply to your comments.