Don't have tamarind at hand and wondering how to prepare rasam? Here is a wonderful alternative ingredient that will get you a best tasting tangy rasam. "Lemons" yes you heard it right, lemons make a tasty rasam, just as tangy as the tamarind ones. This one can be made instantly in just minutes. You do not need to soak anything like you'll need to do in preparing tamarind rasams. This can also be called a beginner's rasam, you can always adjust the tangy-ness by just squeezing some juice from a lemon wedge. Rasam helps relieving nausea, indigestion and with lemons I need not say how effective it'll be, also it gets rid of any digestive problems, and can be taken even during poor health conditions as it is easily digestible. As we all know lemon is rich in Vitamin C, Anti-oxidants and gives a cooling effect to our body too. And along with the addition of Indian spices it makes a super flavorful treat. Its super easy to prepare, so give a try instead of tamarind rasam someday.
- Lemon - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Coriander leaves - A handful
- Cumin seeds - 1 spoon
- Pepper balls - 1 spoon
- Garlic pods - 2
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 spoon
- Dry red chillies - 2
- Oil - 2 spoons.
- Make a coarse mixture of the following in a blender/mixer;
- Cumin seeds + Pepper balls + Garlic pods
- In a bowl add a liter of water. Add the tomato into water, mash and squeeze it well using your fingers.
- Pour this "tomato+water mix" into a pot/sauce pan and place on flame.
- Then add the coarsely ground mixture and salt into the pan and boil for three minutes.
- Remove from flame.
- Add lemon juice into the rasam stir well. Then add chopped coriander leaves.
- Place another pan on flame and add oil, after it heats up add mustard seeds, then tear dry red chillies into two and add it, saute for a minute. Immediately add this tempering mixture into the rasam and stir well.
- Serve hot !!
Lemon Rasam is now ready..!! Have it with Steamed/boiled Rice or simply like a soup after meals!!