Toor Dhal Are also known as Split pigeon peas, Lentils (Thuvaram paruppu in Tamil). Dhal are prepared and accompanied with rice in India. Lentils are delicious and also has a large number of health benefits!! Toor dhal are excellent source of Proteins, Dietary Fiber and Carbohydrates.They are nutritionally similar to meat but obviously they are low in Fat and Cholesterol!! Almost all vegetarians prepare this dhal in different ways and get essential proteins from them. Toor dhal has the capacity to control certain cancers, Prevent Heart stokes, Heart diseases, Type 2 Diabetes, and other Cardiovascular diseases!!!
This particular recipe is very easy to make and takes only a few minutes and few ingredients. This South Indian or precisely the Tamil Nadu paruppu kulambu makes an awesome combo with rice and also with idli and dosa. Just some papads and vegetable side dish is enough to give you a complete and satisfying platter. This is such a comforting recipe that you can make in no time and with less efforts. It gets digested easily as we have added hing and cumin seeds here. You can serve this for kids too just remove the dry chillies from the lit if you are making it for infants. Lets see how to make this easy recipe.
- Toor Dhal/Split Pigeon Peas/Thuvaram paruppu - 150 grams
- Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1 spoon
- Peppercorns - 1/4 spoon
- Curry leaves - From a sprig
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Asafoetida/Hing/Perungayam powder - A pinch
- Dry Red chillies - 2
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 spoon
- Salt- As per taste
- Refined oil/Any edible oil - 2 spoons
- In Pressure cooker add Toor Dhal/Split Pigeon Lentils/Thuvaram paruppu. Add water so that there is 1 inch water above the dal. (do not turn on the flame now)
|Tadka mixture added to toor dal
- Add turmeric powder, salt and Asafoetida/Hing/Perungayam powder and mix well.
- In a pan add oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds/jeera, peppercorns, curry leaves, dry red chillies and saute well. See that the spices do not get burnt.
- Immediately add this mixture to the dal and stir well.
- Close lid and place on flame. Pressure cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Remove from flame and serve!!
TIP 1: Do not remove the pressure cooker lid immediately after removing from flame. Wait for ten minutes and then remove the lid, after the pressure drops. The dal will get cooked well in the mean time and also the pressure will get released gradually!!!!
TIP 2: You can change the consistency(thickness), by adding water after the dal gets cooked. Just place on flame pour some extra water and stir well check for salt and add if needed.
Goes well with Hot rice, Idly, Dosa. Enjoy this easy, simple delicious and healthy recipe, which can be prepared in minutes!!!