Garlic is almost used in every Indian dishes in various forms, as a paste or as whole/chopped. It is so good for health and its properties cannot be listed and explained in a single post. Garlic has been known to cure, High blood pressure, High cholesterol levels, Diabetes, Toothache and has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties!!! So Indian dishes can also be called home made delicious medicine, because all the spices and herbs used has healing properties and various benefits, now lets see how to make Garlic gravy preparation. It goes well with boiled/steamed rice. If you have already prepared and stored the Vatha Kulambu powder/Dry chilli gravy spice powder, then you can make this gravy instantly in few minutes!!!
Serves 2 people
Total Preparation Time - 10 minutes
- Garlic pods - 10
- Small Onions - 3 or 4
- Curry leaves
- Tamarind - 1 inch size ball (or) Tamarind paste - 2 spoons
- Mustard seeds - 1 spoon
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 spoon
- Vatha Kulambu powder/Dry chilli gravy spice powder - 4 spoons
- Turmeric powder - A pinch
- Gingelly oil/Any cooking oil
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 minutes, after ten mins mash the soaked tamarind well using fingers and extract the juice and keep it aside. Skip this step if you are using ready-made tamarind paste.
- In a pan add oil, after it heats up add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and let it splutter.
- Then add curry leaves and onions to it and fry until the onion turns brown.
- Now add the peeled garlic pods and fry for 2 minutes.
- Then add four spoons of Vatha Kulambu powder/Dry chilli gravy spice powder and add the prepared tamarind juice and mix well.
- Add two cups of water and stir well. Cook for 3 minutes until the raw smell goes away.
- Remove from flame and serve!
TIP 1: If you don't have the Vatha Kulambu podi/ Dry chilli gravy spice powder, then make a powder using the following ingredients;
- Dry red chillies - 4
- Coriander seeds/Dhania seeds - 1 spoon
- Rice - 1/4 spoon
- Black gram/Urad dhal/Ulutham paruppu - 1/4 spoon
- Mustard seeds - Few
- Pepper balls - 1/2 spoon
- Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1/4 spoon
- Toor dhal/Split pigeon peas/Lentil dhal - 1/4 spoon
- Fenugreek seeds - Few
- Roast and grind all the above ingredients and use.
TIP2 : If you are familiar with vathal from India you can add them also along with garlic while preparing the gravy.
Spicy and Instant Garlic gravy is now ready!! Serve with hot steamed/boiled rice!!! Best side-dish for this gravy is Papads.
Post a Comment
Thanks for the visit. Do drop in your valuable comments and suggestions :) Please do not add any links to your site/blog such comments will not be published. Click on notify me and get notified about my reply to your comments.