Vatha Kulambu powder is a spice powder that most of the South Indians use for spicy gravy preparations. This spice powder has a good shelf life and hence can be stored for months for future use. It adds aroma and flavor to Curries. This particular spice powder has a lot of flavors in it and comes in so handy during hours when you rush to cook and have so little time left. Homemade ones are better in flavor and health than the store bought ones. Prepare and store them when you have ample time and relish the flavors and good health.
Now lets see whats required and how to prepare this Vatha Kulambu Powder.
(For approximately 600 grams of spice powder)
- Dry red chillies - 350 grams
- Coriander seeds/Dhania seeds - 150 grams
- Rice - 25 grams
- Black gram/Urad dal/Ulutham paruppu - 25 grams
- Mustard seeds - 12.5 grams
- Pepper balls - 50 grams
- Cumin seeds/Jeera - 25 grams
- Toor dhal/Split pigeon peas/Lentil dhal - 25 grams
- Fenugreek seeds - 12.5 grams
- Heat a pan/wok, dry roast all the ingredients separately one after the other and set them aside until they reach room temperature.
- Grind all the roasted ingredients together and store them in an air-tight container.(Don't refrigerate them)
TIP 2: Grind only after the roasted ingredients cools down to room temperature, else it won't get ground properly.
TIP 3: If you need more flavor & aroma you can also add curry leaves during preparation (dry roast curry leaves and grind them along with the other ingredients).
This spice powder can be used in making Vatha Kulmabu/Dry Chilli Gravy and Garlic Gravy/Poondu Kulambu.
Post a Comment
Thanks for the visit. Do drop in your valuable comments and suggestions :) Please do not add any links to your site/blog such comments will not be published. Click on notify me and get notified about my reply to your comments.