This is a mixed vegetable watery gravy prepared using the base of a non-vegetarian curry. Chalna denotes a gravy with watery consistency. Here we are going to use lots of vegetables and hence this recipe is healthy and there is no compromise with the taste too. Goes well with dosa, idly, bread toast and rice. Any kind of vegetables can be used except certain veggies like, bitter-gourd.
- Carrots - 1
- Beans - 4
- Potatoes - 1
- Capsicum - 1
- Green chillies - 1
- Tomatoes - 1
- Green Peas - A handful
- Big onions - 1
- Small onions - 2
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 spoon
- Dry red chillies - 6
- Coconut piece - 1 inch long
- Cumin seeds/Jeera - 1 spoon
- Saunf/Fennel seeds/Sombu - 1/2 spoon
- Cinnamon stick - 1/2 inch long piece
- Cloves - 2
- Bay leaf/Brinji ilai - 1
- Make a paste of the following and keep aside;
- Small onions + Coconut + Cumin seeds + Dry red chillies
- Wash and chop all the vegetables.
- Heat a pan add oil, after it heats up add saunf/fennel seeds/sombu and fry, add all the spices such as, cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaf, and saute for a minute.
- Then add chopped big onions and fry well.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and stir well. Then add tomatoes, salt and cook till it becomes pulpy.
- Then add all the chopped vegetables and stir well.
- Add the prepared paste and 2 cups of water mix well.
- Close the lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes until the vegetables gets cooked well.
- Remove from flame and serve.
TIP 1: Instead of dry red chillies you can add dry red chilli powder. Also instead of cumin seeds you can add cumin powder if available.
TIP 2: Instead of adding coconut pieces you can add a cup of coconut milk while adding water and cook. It increases the richness of the dish.
TIP 3: While making the paste you can also add 2 cashews or roasted chana dhal. It will give richness to the chalna!
Serve with Rice, Chapathi, Poori, Roti or Bread Toast!!! Try out this delicious and healthy chalna!!
Yummy! Your plates look delicious. When my hubby comes home I'll definitely have him prepare us some of your recipes. He's the cook in our family. I mean I can cook too but there's no guarantee anyone would survive after eating :)ReplyDelete
Keep us updated!
Thank you so much!!! Surely will update everyday with new dishes!! Keep experimenting dishes you too can become a great cook some day!!!!!ReplyDelete
I wish the time (read my daughter) would allow me to experiment as I really like to cook even though I'm a disaster. I hope one day I will get the chance again. Until then I'll have my personal "slave" to cook :)so I'll keep checking your posts.Delete
So you have a cook right now, so no worries take care of your precious little one!! That's more important now!! :)Delete