I have already posted a recipe of cabbage fry, this is a different version of the same recipe. In many special occasions and festivals this recipe is accompanied with mutton(lamb) gravy and rice. It is a best combo/side-dish for spicy non-veg gravies and veg gravies and also for sambar rice and rasam rice. It is almost like a salad and tastes great, it is basically a South Indian food recipe. Cabbage is rich in various nutrients like Protein, phosphorous, copper, Vitamins A, B, and C, and Anti-oxidants. This recipe is so tasty and also maintains the crunchiness of the cabbage. So lets see the preparation.
- Cabbage - 1/2
- Big onions - 2 (optional)
- Grated carrot - 2 - 3 spoons (optional)
- Grated coconut - 5 spoons
- Green gram dal/Moong dal - 2 spoons
- Dry red chillies - 2
- Curry leaves - Few
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 spoon
- Urad dal/Black gram - 1/2 spoon (De-skinned)
- Oil - 2 spoons
- Pre-Preparation process:
- Grate the cabbage or chop them into slender, thin pieces and keep aside.
- In a sauce pan add 2-3 cups of water and boil well.
- When the water starts boiling add the green gram dal/moong dal into the boiling water and leave undisturbed for 2 minutes.
- Remove from flame. (
- Remove the moong dal from the boiled water using a strainer and keep aside, do not discard the boiled water.
- Then add the grated cabbage into the same boiled water and leave undisturbed for 10 minutes. (do not boil)
- Strain the grated cabbage and keep aside.
- Preparation Process:
- In a fry pan add oil and splutter mustard seeds and urad dal/black gram.
- Then add dry red chillies and curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Now add the chopped onions, grated cabbage, grated carrot and salt and stir well for 3 minutes. Do not over cook.
- Then add the green gram dal and stir for a minute.
- Remove from flame.
- Add grated coconut and mix well.
TIP 1: Do not cook the cabbage but just add it to boiling water (removed from flame) and leave aside. If you boil it it will become tasteless.
TIP 2: Onions gives an extra crunchiness, but it is optional.
TIP 3: You can also steam cook the cabbage for 3 minutes and prepare the same recipe.
Crunchy side-dish is now ready. Enjoy it as a salad or as a accompaniment for rice!!
My dear friend, I've just nominated you to a Sunshine Award and added your blog to my blog list. I hope you don't mind. please check the nomination at http://theseamanmom.blogspot.com/2012/04/sunshine-award-update.htmlReplyDelete
Am so glad Petro, thanks for nominating me, and am happy that you have exclaimed me as your friend.. That is the best award I can ever get, being a friend for a kind hearted person.Thank You so muchDelete
I'm lucky I've met you even if not in person :)Delete
So am I, Thank you so much..Delete