This particular recipe 'Chicken gravy' is a very traditional recipe prepared in South India. It is very delicious and goes well with rice, dosa, idly, chapathi, roti varieties, etc. This chicken gravy is made with coconut milk base and Indian spices. It is not too spicy but has a good creamy texture and very yummy. Chicken being a good source of protein is also good when cooked without skin, all the bad cholesterol and fat is present in the skin and hence it is best to avoid them, but if you love more tasty gravy it would be better to add the chicken skin also. Adding more boney pieces will make the flavors excellent.
- Chicken - 500 grams
- Coconut - one half (or) Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Big Onions - 1
- Cashew nuts - 8 - 10
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 spoon
- Dry red chillies - 10
- Peppercorns - 1/4 spoon
- Cumin seeds - 2 spoons
- Coriander seeds - 1 spoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Salt - As required
- Oil - 4 spoons
- Curry leaves - One sprig
- Spices (optional; you can use 1/4 spoon garam masala instead)
- Star anise - 1
- Cloves - 1
- Cinnamon stick - A small piece
- Wash the chicken pieces well. Apply turmeric powder and salt on the chicken pieces and leave undisturbed for 10 - 15 minutes and wash again and keep aside.
- In a pan fry the spices just for a minute until they give good aroma and keep aside. Do not over fry.
- Make a paste of the following and keep aside;
- Cashew nuts + Dry red chillies + Peppercorns + Cumin seeds + Coriander seeds.
- Grind coconut and extract milk form it.
- In a pan add oil, after it heats up add spices, sliced onions, curry leaves and fry until it turns slightly brownish.
- Then add ginger-garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Now add the chicken pieces, salt and turmeric powder and stir well.
- Close the lid and cook in a low flame for 5 minutes. Do not add water.
- After 5 minutes add the prepared paste and stir well.
- Add the extracted coconut milk and stir well.
- Close the pan with a lid and cook for 20 minutes until the chicken gets cooked.
TIP 1: Instead of adding coconut milk you can add coconut paste as it is and make the gravy, it will increase the quantity of gravy.
TIP 2: Instead of adding Dry red chillies and all other spices as whole you can substitute them as powders instead and prepare the gravy. Just add them as powders to the chicken without preparing the paste.
- Dry red chillies - Red chilli powder
- Coriander seeds - Coriander powder
- Cumin seeds - Cumin powder
- Peppercorns - Pepper powder
TIP 3: If you prepare the gravy in a pressure cooker you can do the same method, just add the paste and coconut milk directly after adding the chicken and close the lid and cook for 10 minutes. No need of cooking the chicken first for 5 minutes as given in the normal pan procedure.
TIP 4: Spices are optional, if you want some aroma you can add them, but even without the spices the gravy tastes and smells great!!
TIP 5: Add chicken with more bones to enhance the taste of the gravy. Also add chicken skin to increase taste, if, you are not health conscious but taste conscious.
Yummy Chicken Gravy/Kozhi Kulambu is now ready. Tastes too good with crispy dosas!!!