Tomato rice is another variety rice that is of comfort to make and taste. There are many versions of making tomato rice, but here I have discussed about an easy to make tomato rice that can be made with just normal cooking rice. Everyone of us know that tomatoes are good sources of anti-oxidants and Vitamin C, but are we aware that these anti-oxidants gets released more on cooking? Yes tomatoes tend to release goodness as you cook, so try adding them more in your cooking. This preparation makes you feel full as rice is rich in carbohydrates. Overall this is an easy to make, tasty and is healthy preparation. Makes a best lunch box recipe or a one pot meal. Just serve with some papads or onion raita and enjoy.
Serves 2 to 3 people
Total Preparation Time - 15 minutes
- Rice - 1 cup
- Ripe Tomatoes - 2 (See that it is not sour)
- Big Onions - 1
- Coriander leaves - A handful
- Red chilli powder - 1 spoon
- Turmeric powder - A pinch
- Cloves - 2
- Cinnamon stick - Small piece
- Cardamom pods - 2
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil/Ghee - 3 spoons
- Wash rice well in water, I used normal cooking rice (ponni).
- In a pressure cooker add oil/ghee and add the spices such as cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods; saute for a minute.
- Then add the chopped onions and saute until it turns transparent.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes, chopped coriander leaves and saute till it turns pulpy. Add some salt to fasten cooking.
- Then add red chilli powder and salt stir well.
- Now add the washed rice and add 2 cups of water.
- Add some chopped coriander leaves and stir well.
- Close the cooker with the lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Then remove from flame and set aside, open the lid after pressure gets released.
TIP 1: You can grind tomatoes and add it to the recipe instead of adding chopped tomatoes. You can a
TIP 2: You can also make this recipe without adding spices like Cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and cloves.
TIP 3: Instead of adding water you can also add Coconut milk in the following ratio. It gives a different flavor. Rice : Water : Coconut milk - 1:1:1 (i.e. 1 cup of rice + 1 cup of water + 1 cup of coconut milk)
My favorite rice , I can have this rice daily ........ReplyDelete
delicious tangy rice.ReplyDelete
love the tomato rice,perfect lunch box idea.ReplyDelete
Nice one Sis! Love tomato rice!ReplyDelete
Wow yummy and tasty rice. Love the clicks.ReplyDelete
tangy and yummy rice..ReplyDelete
one of the rice which frequents in my kitchen..Just love it to the core..As usual good presentation n clicks..ReplyDelete
Yum! I love tomato rice! Looks great! :)ReplyDelete
amma veetla...semmaiya enjoy panra pola...yummy.enjoy babyReplyDelete
Your tomato rice looking great Divy dear. Delicious.ReplyDelete
Simple and delicious one...my all time favReplyDelete
this is new dish for me looks tempting will try it today.thanks for a new recipe.ReplyDelete
Just a small doubt..when u typed pressure cook did u mean to pressure cook with weight on or without weight on the lid?