Green gram gravy is a very healthy and tasty curry that goes well with Chapathi and Roti. The curry tastes so good and can be had even with rice. Being bored with the same kind of curries I prepared this recipe as side dish for chapatis and it came out very good, since then I have been preparing this curry very often.
Talking about its health benefits, green gram is specially known for its flatulence free nature. Other pulses are healthier but at the same time it creates a lots of flatulence/gas trouble, which causes a discomfort, but green gram is free of flatulence creating agents. In simple it is easily digestible. Also it is rich in many Minerals and appreciable amounts of Vitamins.
Now lets see the required ingredients and preparation.
- Green gram / Moong - 1 cup
- Onion - 1
- Tomatoes - 2
- Green chillies - 1
- Fennel seeds / Saunf - 1 spoon
- Garlic pods - 1
- Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 spoon
- Coriander leaves - A handful
- Curry leaves - Few
- Red chilli powder - 2 spoons
- Coriander powder - 2 spoons
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Garam masala - 1/2 spoon
- Cumin powder - 1/2 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Sugar - 1/2 spoon
- Oil - 5 spoons / Butter
- Chop onion, tomato, garlic and green chillies. Set aside.
- In a pressure cooker add green gram and 4 cups of water, salt and pressure cook for 15 minutes. Or cook green gram in a normal pan for 30 minutes or until it gets cooked well.
- In a pan add oil/butter, after it heats up add curry leaves, fennel seeds, and let it splutter.
- Then add chopped onion and saute for a minute then add, chopped garlic and green chillies saute for a few seconds.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and salt and stir well. Saute till the raw smell leaves.
- Then add chopped tomato and mix well, wait till it turns pulpy.
- Now add all the dry powders; red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala and stir well.
- Sprinkle some water and stir till the raw smell leaves and oil comes out.
- Then add the cooked green gram along with the water and stir well.
- Pour water if necessary and adjust the consistency according to your need.
- Now add chopped coriander leaves, sugar and cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
- Remove from flame.
TIP 1: You can also add either Chat masala/Dry mango powder to enhance the flavor.
TIP 2: You can also make this curry with sprouted green gram or any other pulses. But while using other pulses discard the extra water after cooking (i.e. after step 2) to avoid flatulence.
Tasty curry for chapati and roti is now ready!! Try it when you make chapatis, poori, rotis you will love it!
Indeed a healthy curry.. I'm a big green gram fan and make it quite often.. Beautiful & nice tips too!ReplyDelete
Hi Kavita..am also a big fan of green gram.. Thank you so much..ReplyDelete
Yay, Divya is back!!! Welcome back thangai, I hope you had a lovely time traveling.ReplyDelete
And this one is another wonderful, tasty looking dish, as always. I might come and steal you so you can be my personal cook :)
Hey Akka!! thank you so much for such a warm and loving welcome!! Yeah had a tiring travel time..I missed blogging and my blogger friends so much..especially you!!ReplyDelete
Thank you Petro..It would be my pleasure to cook for you..:)
Healthy n yummy recipe.ReplyDelete
Wow that was so good...ReplyDelete
Hi Hemalata and Akila!! Thank you so muchReplyDelete
healthy recipe..will try..ReplyDelete
Am sure you will like it Preethi!! Thanks for visiting..ReplyDelete
Helthy.....my father love green gram,I will try for him.ReplyDelete
Delicious and tasty one !!ReplyDelete
CC:Spring Seasonal Food
This looks yum!ReplyDelete
yummy recipe..I am glad to follow u...ReplyDelete
Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen
Hi Zari, Sravs, Non stick, Shabbu, Follow foodie!!ReplyDelete
Thank you so much for all your comments!!
Hey Zari am sure your dad will love it!!
Sravs, thank you so much..do visit again..
Non stick, thanks do drop in again..
and Follow foodie, thanks again for the support!!
Shabbu Thanks for following!! Do visit again..ReplyDelete
hi divya, thank you for sharing this, i have bookmarked-looks interesting and yummy..have a nice dayReplyDelete
Healthy curry,luks delicious...ReplyDelete
First time here,do visit my space whenever time permits...
Hi Cooking varieties thank you so much for bookmarking... Have a nice dayReplyDelete
Thank you Premalatha!! Will surely visit yours and thank you so much for following!!!ReplyDelete
Do visit again!!
Healthy and yummy gravy.ReplyDelete
Thank you Umm Mymoonah!!ReplyDelete