Paal payasam is a yummy kheer/dessert variety, prepared in South Indian homes on special occasions. This preparation tastes so good but requires only a few ingredients. As we all know milk is rich in Calcium and other nutrients required for bone growth and improving the immune system. Kids will also love this recipe and even kids who make a fuss to drink milk will also love it.
(serves 5-6 people)
- Raw Rice (Pacharisi) - 1/2 Cup (If you don't have Raw rice see Tip 1)
- Milk - 500 ml
- Water - 3 cups
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Condensed milk - 1/2 cup (optional)
- Cashew nuts - Few
- Almonds - Few (optional)
- Cardamom pods - 4
- Ghee - 2 spoons
- Fry raw rice in a pan for just a minute, remove from flame and let it cool.
- In a blender/mixer grinder add the raw rice and just give a pulse so that it becomes a coarse mixture. Do not grind it.
- Now in a pressure cooker add the following and pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- Coarse raw rice + 1 cup of milk + 2 cups of water
- After 10 minutes take the cooked rice mixture and keep aside.
- In another pan add remaining milk, sugar and stir well, on low flame until the sugar dissolves.
- Then add the cooked raw rice and stir well.
- Add crushed cardamom pods and chopped almonds (optional) to the mixture.
- Stir occasionally and cook till the mixture reduces to 3/4th of the content.
- Add condensed milk and stir well. (optional)
- In a pan add ghee, after it heats up add cashew nuts and fry till it turns golden brown and add this mixture to the kheer.
- Remove kheer from flame.
- Serve hot or cold.
TIP 1: Instead of raw rice you can add Basmati rice also. But it will be enough if you pressure cook basmati rice for 5 minutes. You can also use normal rice and prepare payasam using the same method.
TIP 2: If you are not going to use pressure cooker you can use normal pans and cook the rice but it will take time.
TIP 3: Increase or decrease the sugar content according to your taste.
TIP 4: See that the Kheer/Payasam is not too thick. It should not be too thick nor too watery.
Delicious Paal Payasam/Milk Rice Kheer is now ready!!! Am sure you will love it!!!