In my previous post I had posted about how to prepare egg cubes (click here for the egg cube recipe). And here's a very delicious masala recipe using egg cubes.These egg cubes are very delicious and can be used instead of chicken or paneer to make masalas or curries. I'm sure people will be confused with very the look, my family members mistook it as paneer masala until they tasted it. These are tastier than the bland paneer and is also versatile. You can serve this masala with roti, dosa or even with rice.
INGREDIENTS(Serves 3 people)
- Egg cubes - 10 (made out of 3 eggs)
- Onions - 1
- Tomatoes - 1
- Coconut pieces (2 inches long) - 3 pieces
- Green chilly - 1
- Red chillies - 5
- Mint leaves - 1/2 cup
- Ginger - 2 inch long piece
- Garlic - 2 pods
- Cardamom pods - 3
- Cumin seeds - 3/4 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 4 spoons
- Prepare Egg cubes and set aside.
- Chop onions and tomatoes, slit green chilly, skin ginger and peel garlic and set aside.
- Make a fine paste of the following ingredients;
- Coconut pieces + Ginger + Garlic pods + Cumin seeds + Cardamom pods + Dry red chillies
- In a pan add oil, after it heats up add chopped onions and saute well.
- After it turns colorless add green chilly, tomato and salt and saute till the tomatoes turns pulpy.
- Now add mint leaves and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Then add the fine paste and stir well.
- Cook on low flame by repeated stirring until the oil pops out of the masala. It may take atleast 5 minutes.
- Then add the egg cubes and stir gently so that the cubes don't break. Sprinkle water and close the pan with a lid.
- Cook for a minute.
- Remove from flame.
- Garnish with mint leaves and Serve!!
TIP 1: Use paneer or chicken instead of egg cubes.
TIP 2: Instead of adding egg cubes you can also use fried eggs, boiled eggs or pour raw eggs directly into the masala and stir well to make egg mint podimas.
TIP 3: Add little coconut milk before adding egg cubes if you want gravy consistency.
TIP 4: Always wipe the red chillies using a cloth to remove dust and germs and once in a while dry it under hot sun to make increase its life and enhance flavor.