Kanji or Palaya sadham is a porridge kind prepared with leftover rice. Palaya sadham serves as a great breakfast and is also said to cool down the body. Whenever you are pondering about how to use the leftover rice try this kind. You'll get enough carbohydrates and energy necessary for the day, but it is best suitable for summers. In earlier days when there were no refrigerators or means to save leftover rice, people would pour water into the remainings and use it the next morning for breakfast, this is how kanji recipe came into the Tamilian menu and there are people who still prefer to have this for their morning. It is much better than the bowl of cereals loaded with sugar and preservatives. Serve the porridge with mango or citron pickle and some toasted papad and enjoy a simple fulfilling breakfast!!
For another kind of healthy rice porridge recipe click here.
Total Preparation Time - (10 minute plus overnight soaking)
- Leftover rice - 2 cups
- Curd/Yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Shallots / Pearl onions - 8
- Coriander leaves - Few (After chopping approximately 2 spoons)
- Curry leaves - Few (optional)
- Chopped Ginger - 1/2 spoon
- Garlic pods - 5
- Mustard - 1/2 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 2 spoons
- Soak the cooked rice in 4 cups of water overnight (no need to refrigerate).
- Next morning take the watery soaked rice and mash it well with your hands.
- To this rice mixture, add curd and salt and mix well set aside.
- Peel and chop onions and garlic into smaller pieces.
- Take half of the chopped onions and set it aside separately for garnishing or to serve as sides.
- Now for tempering this kanji, place a pan on flame and pour oil. After it heats up add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Now add chopped onions, chopped garlic, and saute until they turn slightly brownish.
- Remove from flame and add it to the prepared porridge.
- Stir well.
- Now add chopped ginger and coriander leaves and stir well.
- Finally add the saved chopped onions.
- Drop in a piece of pickle and Serve!!
TIP 1: You can skip the tempering part and serve plain kanji.
TIP 2: Add more curry leaves for extra aroma.
Delicious Leftover Rice Porridge / Kanji is now ready!! Serve plain or with pickles and Papads!!