Its Mother's day today and on this special day I want to share with you one of my favorites; a delicious and simple traditional recipe that my Mom taught me. Its a very healthy Lentil rice recipe that she prepared very often for me when I was a kid. Its so tasty and a mild flavor that the ghee provides makes it so seductive; also it has a good content of Carbohydrates and Protein. Cumins and peppercorns add so much flavor to the recipe and will make you love it. This recipe needs no side dish and can be had plain; still you can serve it with some spicy side-dish or some simple papads will do.
Happy mother's day friends. I love my Mom and I hope you too!! She loved me even before I was born, has taught me all things, has been by my side during my ups and downs and is always happy for who I am. I am grateful to God for giving me such a super-MoM.
INGREDIENTS(Serves 4 people)
- Rice - 1 cup
- Toor dal / Split pigeon peas - 3/4 cup
- Peppercorns - 1 spoon
- Cumin seeds - 1 spoon
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 spoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Cashew nuts - Few
- Salt - As per taste
- Ghee - 2 spoons
- Wash rice and lentils and set aside.
- In a pressure cooker add rice and lentil and 4 cups of water. Do not place on flame now.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, and stir well.
- In another pan heat ghee, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns and cashews ans saute until the cashews turns brown and add it into the rice mixture.
- Close the cooker with the lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- After ten minutes remove from flame and open the cooker only after the steam releases fully may be approximately after 10 minutes.
TIP 1: Instead of 3/4 cup of dal you can add 1/2 cup.
TIP 2: You can also add vegetables like Carrot, peas, beans and potatoes and prepare this recipe. This is just a simple version.
Yummy and healthy Lentil rice recipe is ready!!