Pepper Jeera chicken is my own version of the recipe popularly known as, 'Pepper Chicken'. It is a famous Indian dish which is very spicy and yummy too!! Black pepper also known as 'black gold' is very good for you, it has a lot of antioxidants present in it, cures intestinal problems like flatulence, bacterial infections etc. Apart from being a healthy spice it gives a strong aroma and flavor. Always use freshly ground pepper for good aroma and taste. Jeera/Cumin is another aromatic spice that offers good fragrance to food and also good flavor. Cumin is a spice that cures common cold and related symptoms. The combo of these spices with chicken gives a healthy and yummy recipe 'Pepper Jeera Chicken'. It is a dry recipe that goes well with rice, rice varieties, any Indian bread variety. So lets see what are the ingredients needed and how to prepare it. This is my own version of pepper chicken, I love chicken recipes so I always try to make the best out of the available chicken.
(Serves 2 people)
- Chicken - 250 grams
- Pearl onions - 3 (or) Big onion - 1
- Black pepper - 1 spoon
- Cumin seeds - 1 spoon
- Ginger - 1/2 inch long piece
- Garlic pods - 2
- Tomato sauce - 1 spoon (optional)
- Cumin powder - 1/2 spoon
- Red chilli powder - 1/4 spoon (optional)
- Cinnamon sticks - Few
- Curry leaves - Few
- Coriander leaves - Few
- Lemon - 1/2
- Salt - as per taste
- Oil - 5 spoons
- Wash chicken pieces well in water, apply turmeric powder and salt set aside for 15 minutes, then wash again.
- Dy roast cumin seeds and pepper separately on a pan just for a few seconds or until you get the aroma and set aside.
- Grind the roasted pepper and cumin seeds into a coarse mixture.
- In a pan add oil add cinnamon sticks, curry leaves, coriander leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Then add chopped onions, finely chopped ginger and garlic pieces and saute till it turns brown.
- Now add red chilli powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and stir well.
- Add tomato sauce and mix well.
- Then add the washed chicken pieces and stir well.
- Cook on low flame, do not add water.
- After the chicken pieces gets half cooked add the coarse pepper-jeera mixture, salt and stir well.
- Sprinkle little water and close the pan with a lid.
- Cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid, add lemon juice and stir well.
- Remove from flame and serve!!
TIP 1: Red chilli powder makes the recipe more spicy and tomato sauce complements this spiciness and enhances taste. But both are optional.
TIP 2: Freshly ground pepper and cumin gives a better aroma and flavor.
TIP 3: This is a dry version, if you want gravy consistency add coconut paste to the recipe after adding pepper-jeera coarse mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
Spicy and yummy Pepper Jeera Chicken is now ready. Enjoy with rice varieties, dosa, idly and any bread variety.