Spicy Okra Fry is an instant spicy side-dish that I make very often for Sambar Rice or Curd Rice and its my husband's favorite. It is very easy to make and can be made in minutes. Instead of the regular Okra stir fry/Vendakkai porriyal (click here for recipe) try this for a change. Lady's finger contains dietary fiber and is rich in Vitamins like, A,C,K and Minerals. It is good for digestion and can relieve constipation and other digestive irregularities, helps in weight loss, good for pregnant women during the first few weeks since it helps to avoid neural defects in the fetus. God has provided us with natural medicines and we should thank him for all these creations. Coming to the recipe, it is so hot and goes well with Sambar rice, Rice and Lentil gravy, Curd rice, Rasam rice.
(Serves Side-dish for 2 plates)
- Ladys Finger/Okra/Vendakkai - 10
- Urad dal / Black gram (Skinned whole gram) - 1/2 spoon (optional)
- Red chilli powder - 2 spoons
- Turmeric powder - A pinch
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 5 spoons
- Wash the okras well and wipe off the water content with a clean cloth. Otherwise the recipe will become sticky.
- Chop it into 1 inch long pieces and set aside.
- Place a pan on flame and add oil after it heats up, add urad dal and saute till it turns slightly brownish.
- Then add the okra and saute well for a minute.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and stir well. Add a spoon of oil if it seems dry.
- Stir frequently to avoid the okra getting burnt.
- Close the pan with lid and cook on a low flame for 2 minutes.
- Remove from flame when the okra seems cooked.
TIP 1: Urad dal is purely optional. I add it because my husband loves the crunchy urad dal.
TIP 2: Add more oil for better texture. Since it is a dry recipe the more oil you add the better the outcome will be, but do not add oil exceedingly.
Enjoy this hot side dish with rice and sambar, lentil stew, or rasam!!