Squid pepper fry is my favorite recipe. I tasted this recipe when I was a kid, in my Mom's native place called Mandapam near Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu, initially I didn't want to taste it but after being forced by Mom and her friends I had it and the moment I tasted it I fell in love with it. I just loved the place, people and the seashore there, also I was amazed by the Pamban bridge, which is India's first sea bridge connecting Rameswaram to Tamil Nadu. They use fresh seafood, like Crabs, Prawns, Fishes, Squid etc caught by the fishermen and their recipes would taste awesome. So now coming to the recipe, it tasted great and ever since, I would ask my Grandma and Mom to prepare this for me. I just love it, and am sure you will like it too. Fresh squids will be the best for this recipe. Squids are strange creatures according to me, I am amazed by how God has set up its lifestyle and body they are really interesting species. These squids are delicious and has many many health benefits, just Google it and you will be awestruck. They are rich in Protein, Phosphorous, Vitamins and Minerals. Squid Pepper Fry / Kanava Milagu Pirattal, is a dry masala type recipe and goes well with Indian bread varieties, Rice, as side-dish.
(Serves 2 People)
- Squid - 250 grams
- Shallots/Pearl onion - 5 (or) Big onion - 1
- Tomato - 1/2 of one ripe tomato
- Coriander leaves - Few
- Curry leaves - Few
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 1/2 spoon
- Ginger - 1/2 inch sized piece
- Lemon juice - 2 spoons
- Peppercorns - Few
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 spoon
- Fennel seeds - 1/4 spoon
- Pepper powder - 1/2 spoon
- Cumin powder - 1/2 spoon
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 spoon
- Turmeric powder - A pinch plus extra for marinating squids
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 3 spoons
- Wash chopped squids well in water.
- Apply turmeric powder, salt and lemon juice on the chopped squid and set aside for 15 minutes. Then wash it well and set aside.
- Chop onions, tomato, coriander leaves and set aside.
- In a wok/pan slightly roast the peppercorns and cumin seeds for 1 minute, remove from flame and let it cool.
- Make a coarse powder of peppercorns and cumin seeds and set aside.
- Crush ginger and set aside.
- Now in a pan add oil, splutter fennel seeds, then add the coarse powder, curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and saute well. (Be careful the oil will splutter)
- Now after the raw smell leaves add coriander leaves and saute.
- Add onions, crushed ginger and salt and fry until it turns translucent.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and stir well until it turns pulpy and seems mashed.
- Then add red chilli powder, pepper powder, cumin powder and turmeric powder, stir well, cook until the raw smell leaves. Sprinkle water if necessary.
- Add the chopped and washed squid into the masala stir well and close the pan with a lid.
- Cook on low flame.
- Do not add water, the squid will let out enough water on cooking.
- Stir occasionally and cook until the water content reduces and the squid turns soft. This may take 15-20 minutes.
- Then add a spoon of lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Remove from flame and serve.
TIP 1: If you don't want it to be too spicy then you can neglect chilli powder.
TIP 2: To make it more yummy you can add a spoon of tomato ketchup/sauce while preparing the recipe.
TIP 3: Use fresh spices and home-made powders for enhanced flavor and aroma.
TIP 4: The marination helps to remove 50% of the squid smell. and makes it clean for use.
TIP 5: Squid has a lot of water content and so it will release water while cooking, so do not add water. If you don't need dry masala add little water and prepare the semi-gravy version.
Yummy and Spicy Squid Pepper Fry / Kanava Milagu Pirattal is now ready!! Enjoy with Sambar rice or Rasam rice, Chapati or Poori!!