Roasted rice Porridge/Arisi Kanji, a simple porridge with no seasoning or spicing, is usually prepared to give instant energy. My mom used to prepare this whenever someone suffered from sickness and it would help to gain a lot of strength. For the past few days I have not been feeling so well and so I prepared this Kanji today to get rid of the tiredness. When we have some sickness, our eating and digestion process gets affected, we may not feel hungry or even feel nauseated, or our taste buds will not detect any taste. But we do need strength to keep up the health going from bad to worse, at such times this kanji will surely give you a hand. It is so easy to digest, gives instant energy, does not upset the stomach, also increases appetite and the regulates the bowel movements too, moreover it tastes good. If kids or someone is suffering from loose bowel movements like Diarrhea, Ulcer pains, Fever, the best food that can be served is this Arisi Kanji. Serve 5 times a day, this helps to regain the strength, the carbohydrates present will give the necessary energy. Aged people will have difficulties in digestion, for such people this is the best recipe. It suits all ages and is the best alternative. Prepare this once, try it and you will know that am correct. Moreover its so simple to make and requires very few ingredients.
(Serves 4 cups)
- Rice - 1 cup
- Water - 5 cups
- Salt - As per taste (But a little will be good)
- Heat a pan/wok on low flame.
- Add the rice grains and roast it on a low flame.
- Keep stirring regularly until the rice grains turns golden brown in color.
- Remove from flame once the grains gets roasted well, set aside.
- Leave it aside until it reaches room temperature.
- Then grind the rice grains into a coarse powder and set aside.
- In a saucepan or pot add 5 cups of water and this coarse rice powder.
- Keep stirring until the rice gets cooked and soft, it may take 10 - 15 minutes.
- When the porridge is ready remove from flame, transfer into the serving bowls.
- Add salt and serve.
TIP 1: Do not over roast or burn the rice grains, it will spoil the porridge's taste.
TIP 2: Salt will help to add taste, but without salt it would be the best for sick people. But some won't like to drink it plain so you can add a pinch of salt to it just before serving.
TIP 3: Use it within 6 hours, the porridge/kanji will get not be fresh after that. So its not advisable.
TIP 4: If you are going to give it for kids, grind the roasted rice grains into powder and then prepare this recipe. It will be easy for them to drink.
A healthy porridge is now ready!! Serve plain!! Gives instant energy and improves appetite!!