Bitter gourd, am sure many won't like to even hear this word! But try this recipe am sure you will like it. Bitter gourd has a natural power to kill worms and germs present in the stomach and intestine. Suitable for kids and adults too. But people who have a low sugar level must strictly avoid bitter gourd. This stir fry has lots of onions in it so it tastes very good. Goes well with sambar rice, rasam, curd and dal rice too. Or just take a handful of cooked rice add two spoons of this stir fry and just have it to get rid of the worms. I started loving this recipe when my mom forced me to have some, now I prepare it very often. But preparing it once in 15 days will be a good idea.
- Bitter gourd - 500 grams (Medium sized or smaller ones)
- Big onions - 3
- Cumin seeds - 1 spoon
- Mustard - 1/4 spoon
- Black gram / Urad dal - 1/4 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 5 spoons
- Chop bitter gourd and onions into smaller pieces and set aside.
- In a pan/wok add oil, after it heats up splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, then add urad dal and saute till it turns brownish.
- Now add chopped onions and saute well till it turns brownish.
- Then add the chopped bitter gourd and saute well, cook on low flame.
- Add salt and stir well.
- Stir frequently until the bitter gourd gets cooked well. It will change color when it gets cooked.
- This may take up to 20 minutes.
- After it gets cooked well remove from flame and serve.
TIP 1: Add more oil to get a good flavor, only then the stir fry will come out well.
TIP 2: Adding more onions increases the flavor, so add enough onions.
TIP 3: Stir frequently to avoid burning and always cook in low flame.
TIP 4: Use sunflower oil if possible.
Delicious and healthy Bitter Gourd Stir fry / Pavakkai Poriyal is now ready!! Serve with sambar rice or dal rice!! I love it with Fish gravy too!!