Non-vegetarians who go to the restaurant will very often opt for this recipe as accompaniment to any Indian bread varieties or Fried rice. Its so delicious and favorite for many. Even street side food stalls have this recipe in their menu. It is so easy to make and worth trying. As some of my readers would know am a chicken lover and I never hesitate to make or try chicken recipes at home. The plus point is you can enjoy more amount of food with less cost and at the same time its more healthy too. I love Chinese recipes and I must say they have contributed a whole lot of delicious recipes to the world. Chicken has many good nutrients, just get rid of the skin to get all the benefits.
- Chicken - 250 grams (Boneless)
- Big onion - 1
- Capsicum - 1/2 of one capsicum
- Tomato - 1/2 of one tomato
- Chopped garlic - 1 spoon
- Chopped ginger - 1 spoon
- Besan flour (or) Corn flour - 3 spoons
- Corn flour - 2 spoons (For gravy)
- Rice flour - 2 spoons
- Egg white - From 1 egg (Optional)
- Red chilli powder - 1 spoon
- Pepper powder - 1/4 spoon
- Tomato sauce - 2 spoons
- Red chilli sauce - 2 spoons
- Soya sauce - 2 spoons
- Ajinomoto - A pinch (Optional)
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - For deep frying
- Wash chicken pieces well in water and set aside.
- Mix 2 spoons of corn flour, pepper powder to 1.5 cups of water and set aside.
- In a bowl make a batter of the following;
- Corn flour / Besan flour + Rice flour + Egg white + Salt
- If you use besan flour you can avoid egg white.
- Marinate the chicken pieces in the batter for 10 minutes and deep fry them until they turn golden brown. Remove excess oil using tissue paper and set aside.
- In a pan add 2 spoon of oil and after it heats up add chopped ginger and garlic and saute for a minute.
- Then add diced onions (Onions chopped into medium sized pieces) and saute for a minute.
- Now add the diced tomatoes and saute. Do not mash it.
- Then add salt and red chilli powder and saute well for a minute.
- Add the deep fried chicken and stir well.
- Now add tomato sauce, red chilli sauce, soya sauce and stir well.
- Close the pan with a lid and cook on low flame for 3 minutes.
- Open the lid and stir well, add diced capsicum and mix well.
- Add the corn flour mixture and stir well.
- Check for salt, add if needed.
- Cook until the gravy thickens.
- Remove from flame and garnish with chopped spring onions.
TIP 1: You can use chilli paste instead of chilli powder. To make chilli paste soak red chillies in water and boil them until they get cooked. Let them cool and make a paste out of it.
TIP 2: Do not add too much of corn flour it may make the gravy sticky and thick.
TIP 3: Besan flour gives an extra flavor so you can use it to marinate the chicken pieces instead of corn flour. If you are going to add besan flour egg white isn't necessary.
Yum!! Delicious Chilli Chicken is now ready!! Serve with rice varieties, or any Indian bread varieties!!