Moong sundal is a perfect healthy and a filling snack. A cup of tea with a bowl of this sundal make a great evening. Green gram / moong is much different from rest of the pulses, it does not cause flatulence and is really easy to digest unlike other gram varieties. Though other pulses are healthier, they causes a lot of discomfort after consumption. To reduce this flatulence trouble try the tips mentioned here. Green gram has high protein content, low in fat, and is rich in folic acid necessary for pregnant women and lactating moms. Overall its too good for women. Apart from these, moong has the tendency to prevent cancer, is diabetic friendly, reduces cholesterol level, helps lose weight, and clears toxin from the body, promotes intestinal health, aids digestion. Wow that was a whole lot of goodness, so do you need any more reasons to prepare dishes with such healthy ingredients?Serve this simple sundal on evenings and enjoy good health.
INGREDIENTSServes 3 to 4 people
Total Preparation Time - 10 to 12 minutes
- Green gram / Moong - 2 cups (nearly 272 grams)
- Water - 4 cups (600 ml)
- Big onions - 1 (finely chopped)
- Grated coconut - 5 tablespoons (Optional)
- Dry red chillies - 2
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal / Skinned Black gram - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 2 tablespoons
- In a pressure cooker add green gram, water and required salt.
- Close the cooker and pressure cook for 10 minutes. Open after the pressure releases and set aside. (If, there is extra water use it for some dish do not discard it, it has a lot of nutrients in it.)
- Place a pan on flame and add oil, splutter mustard seeds, then add urad dal, chopped onions, curry leaves, dry red chillies and saute until the onions turn slightly brown.
- Add this mixture to the cooked green gram and stir well.
- Add grated coconut if you wish, stir well and serve.
TIP 1: Adding more onions and urad dal will make the sundal delicious. Urad dal gives a crunchy during a bite.
TIP 2: I haven't added coconut, if you wish you can add it after tempering the cooked green gram.
Filling, delicious and healthy green gram sundal is now ready!! Have it with a cup of tea and feel refreshed!!