Fish fry is a comfort recipe and the best accompaniment/side-dish for Sambar rice, Rasam rice, Curd rice (click here for recipe) or rice with fish gravy (click here for recipes), prawn gravy (click here for recipe), crab gravy (click here for recipe) etc. I love it with rasam and rice (click here for recipe). I have used Barracuda (Sheela meen/Seela meen) a tasty sea water fish. You can use the same method of preparation for any other sea water or fresh water fish variety. They say that some fishes contain high levels of mercury that can be dangerous for the fetus/baby during pregnancy. So pregnant women are advised to avoid it but for others its a normal and nutritive food. Barracuda fishes are packed with omega-3-fatty acids and proteins and so its obviously good. Also this type of fish fry is so simple and easy to make that it uses only very few readily available ingredients and can be prepared in just minutes. Now, lets move on to the recipe.
Tips for selecting fresh fishes for cooking; the fish scales should be shiny and the eyes look glossy not messed up also the gills should seem reddish. If not the fishes are stored ones.
For my other versions of fish fry (click here)
- Barracuda / Sheela fish - 10 pieces
- Red chilli powder - 2 to 3 spoons
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - For deep frying
- Wash fish pieces well in water (click here to know how to wash fish pieces properly).
- Mix all the ingredients by adding a few drops of water, except oil and apply it on fish pieces and leave it aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok/pan and shallow fry/deep fry them on high flame for 2 minutes until both the sides turns brownish. Do not over burn it.
TIP 1: Do not over cook the fishes, because it will turn hard and lose its moisture content. So fry only for 2 minutes.
TIP 2: You can use the same method for other fish varieties also, especially for sardines.
Lip-smacking Barracuda fish fry is now ready!! Serve with Sambar rice, Dal rice, Rasam rice or Curd rice!!