Earlier in my Squid Pepper fry Post I have already shared about how I fell in love with squid recipes. From then on I have been making squid recipes in different styles, but my Mom's recipe has always been my favorite. I have come to my Native place and as this place is near the sea-shore we get lots of fresh sea-food. So my Mom decide to make this Squid Masala for me as sides for Dosa (South-Indian pancake like recipe made from rice and black gram batter). We all loved the combo and it was heavenly. Obviously when someone cooks with love for us it tastes more divine, right? This yummy masala goes well with dosa, chapati and any Indian bread variety, also serves as a best side-dish for rice with sambar and dal. Now, lets see what's required and how to prepare this recipe.
- Squids - 500 grams
- Coconut - 5 pieces (Almost 1/4 of a coconut)
- Ginger - 2 inch long piece
- Garlic - 4 pods
- Red chilli powder - 2 spoons
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 spoon
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Oil - 3 spoons
- In a pressure cooker add the following and pressure cook for 15 minutes;
(Pressure cook squids)
1. Squids - 500 grams
2. Red chilli powder - 1.5 spoons
3. Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
4. Salt - As per taste
5. Water - 2 cups
- Meanwhile, make a fine paste of the following ingredients and set aside;
(For Coconut Masala)
1. Coconut - 5 pieces
2. Ginger - 2 inch long piece
3. Garlic - 4 pods
4. Cumin seeds - 1/2 spoon
- In a pan/wok, add oil and let it heat, the add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Then add the cooked squids along with the water, into the pan and stir well.
- Then add the prepared coconut masala and stir well.
- Let it sit on flame until the water reduces and masala becomes thicker.
- Remove from flame and serve.
TIP 1: The squids will be tougher if you don't pressure cook them but if you don't want t0 pressure cook it, then cook it directly along with the masala for 20 minutes on low flame.
TIP 2: Add some poppy seeds while making coconut masala to enhance the flavor.
TIP 3: Increase or decrease the addition of red chilli powder according your wish. And add more coconut pieces if you need more masala.
Delicious Squid Masala is now ready!! Serve with any Indian Bread Variety like Chapati or Roti!!