In my previous post (prawn 65) I had promised to post about onion soup today. So here we go. This is a simple and delicious onion soup that comes in so handy when you have no vegetables or meat for preparing soups. This tastes really great and I bet people will wonder if its just an onion soup. The ingredients required will be easily available in your pantry, and you can also amaze your surprise guests with this soup. Can be made in just minutes with few ingredients and so saves your time and money. Many people recognize onions as just a part of cooking or as a garnishing vegetable and so never give much importance to them, but they are very benefiting to health. I have used big onions here so I'll discuss something about them. These pungent smelling onions are very helpful to get rid of depression or hypertension, increases blood circulation, gets rid of cold and cough, and also has some necessary minerals like chromium. Also, these onions have a property to reduce the cholesterol levels which improves cardiovascular health, they are known to be blood thinners that helps to prevent clotting, heart attacks, strokes, blockages in arteries etc, but this property will diminish when onions are cooked. Am sure you must be amazed with all the health benefits of a humble and common vegetable. So coming back to the recipe it is really yum and filling just give a try once and you'll agree with me. You can try your versions too by adding some more flavorful ingredients like garlic, soy sauce etc; this is just a simple yet yummy version. Now lets see what's needed and how to prepare this hot bowl of Onion Soup.
INGREDIENTS(Serves one person)
- Big onion - 1 (chopped finely)
- Egg white - 1
- Coriander leaves - Few
- Corn flour - 2 spoon
- Maida /All purpose flour - 1 spoon
- Pepper powder - 1/2 spoon
- Sugar - 1/4 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Lemon juice - 1 spoon (or) lemon slice - 1
- Butter - 1 spoon
- Water - 1.5 glasses
- Heat a sauce pan and add butter to it. Then add onions and saute well until it turns translucent.
- Then add 1.5 glasses of water and stir well.
- Add salt, pepper powder and let it boil well for 3 minutes.
- Simmer the flame and add coriander leaves, sugar and let it boil again for another 2 minutes.
- Now slowly start adding the egg white into the sauce pan, simultaneously keep stirring the soup so that the egg white forms strings.
- Meanwhile in a bowl add maida, corn flour and some water and make a fine paste out of it.
- Add this paste to the boiling soup and cook until it thickens well.
- Squeeze some lemon juice or drop in a lemon slice and serve!
TIP 1: You can garnish the soup with some caramelized onions. To prepare caramelized onions just saute very thin slices of onions in butter until they turn brownish.
TIP 2: To avoid irritation and tears while chopping the onions, refrigerate onions few minutes prior to chopping.
TIP 3: While adding the egg white see that you keep stirring the soup simultaneously to get strings of them.
TIP 4: Never use onions that are chopped and left out for a long time and do not refrigerate chopped onions they will easily absorb the environmental bacteria and toxins easily and so its not advisable.