Rava Kesari is a very popular Indian dessert prepared in almost every Indian homes especially during festivals and celebrations. It so delicious, aromatic and pleasing, yet simple to make. Not very complicated ingredients are needed, just a few ingredients normally available in your kitchen pantry will be enough. You can also prepare the same kesari using vermicelli (Semiya), for recipe click here. Today is Raksha Bhandhan and I wish all brothers and sisters, all around the world, good health, happiness and peace of mind, celebrate this special day with love and this virtual treat of Kesari.
If someone says he loves God but hates his brother, he is a liar; For he cannot love God, whom he has not seen, if he does not love his brother, whom he has seen. (Bible - 1 John 4:20) (Here your brother means your neighbor and anyone around you)
So love one another as Christ (Lord) Himself has loved us!!!
- Rava/Sooji/Semolina - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1.5 cups
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Cardamom pods - 5
- Cashew - 5 to 8
- Raisins - 1/4 spoon (Optional)
- Kesari color - A pinch (Optional) I used lemon yellow color, you can use orange color too.
- Ghee - 3 spoons + 1 spoon
- Heat a wok/pan add 1 spoon of ghee and add rava and saute on a low flame until (2 minutes will do) you get nice aroma, rava should not turn brown. Then remove from flame and set aside.
- Heat the same wok/pan add 1.5 cups of water and add crushed cardamom pods, then let it boil for a minute.
- When you can smell the aroma of cardamom pods, add sugar. Stir well.
- Once the sugar dissolves well in water, add the kesari color (Optional).
- Now add the fried rava and stir well, see that no lumps are formed.
- Keep stirring until it seems even, with no lumps in it.
- In a tadka pan/wok add 3 spoons of ghee and fry the cashews until it turns slightly brown then add raisins and saute till it puffs up, now add this mixture to kesari and stir well.
- When the rava gets cooked and kesari thickens up remove from flame and serve.
TIP 1: Kesari color is the coloring agent added in kesari preparations, its available in orange and lemon yellow color and has salt added to it so gives an enhanced flavor when added to Kesari. but you can still use normal artificial food colors, if you wish just add add a pinch of salt after adding artificial colors. If you wish to avoid food colors it would be better health-wise.
TIP 2: Adjust the addition of ghee according to your wish, in this preparation I have added moderate level of Ghee, add more for extra aroma and flavor.
TIP 3: You can also add chopped almonds along with cashews.
Delectable and Delicious Rava Kesari is now ready!! Enjoy as a celebration dessert or after meal dessert!!