Kathirikai chips are very crispy and makes a very good side-dish for sambar rice, curd rice, lemon rice, tamarind rice and any rice variety. Just requires very few ingredients and can be made in just minutes. These chips will remain crispy and good if stored in a clean airtight container. Here I have used long slender brinjals yet you can use the normal brinjals too. Usage of rice flour gives it a good crunchy texture and taste better. Instead of making the same potato chips try this for a twist. These are too good to taste and you will make these regularly after trying. Now lets see whats required and how to make these.
Preparation time - 10 to 15 minutes
- Eggplant / Brinjals - 2 [Preferably long ones (Mine weighed 170 grams)]
- Rice flour - 1.5 spoons (10 grams)
- Red chilli powder - 3/4 spoon (6 grams)
- Curry leaves - Few (Optional)
- Salt - 1/4 spoon (3 grams)
- Oil - For deep frying
- Wash brinjals well in water. Take a bowl full of normal water and set aside.
- Slice the brinjals using a slicer into very thin slices and drop them into the bowl or water, to avoid browning.
- Now take a plate/wide bowl and add salt, red chilli powder, and rice flour to it. Mix well using fingers and set aside.
- Remove the brinjal slices from the bowl of water and squeeze of excess water.
- Add these slices to the plate containing the red chilli mix and mix well with your fingers. The water content in the brinjal slices will make the masala get well adhered to the it. Don't add extra water.
- Heat a frying pan pour oil and after it heats up well, drop a handful of slices.
- Deep fry on medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Then add some curry leaves and switch to high flame mode and fry until they turn brown and crisp. Be careful not to burn them.
TIP 1: Follow all the steps carefully to get good crispy chips.
TIP 2: Addition of curry leaves gives a nice flavor but you can avoid them if you wish.
TIP 3: You can also use the bigger brinjals. But make sure that the slices are very thin. Only thin slices come out crisp after frying.
Crispy, Crunchy and Tasty Kathirikai chips are now ready!! Serve as sides with rice!!