Kesar Murg is a creamy Mughlai chicken curry that tastes great with Indian bread varieties specially with Phulkas, Naan and Rotis. Mughlai recipes are very rich, creamy and so fit for a royal treat, the usage of fresh ground aromatic spices gives their cuisine a distinct fragrance and flavor. This Kesar chicken very well reflects their richness and flavor. It can be very well described as chicken cooked in spiced yogurt sauce along with saffron milk. The authentic recipe here calls in for breast pieces but you can also try it with any chicken pieces, boneless pieces will best suit this creamy dish. It is easier than the other Mughlai Curries and also tastes great. Lets see whats required and how to make this flavored rich chicken curry.
INGREDIENTSServes 3 people
Total Preparation Time - 45 minutes
- Chicken - 500 grams
- Thick Curd / Yogurt - 2 cups
- Warm Milk - ½ cup (50 ml)
- Fresh cream - 50 grams (you can add more if you wish)
- Saffron - 3 pinches
- Dry ginger powder / Chukku podi - ½ spoon (2 grams)
- Red chilli powder - 1½ spoons (10 grams)
- Coriander powder - 2 spoons (12 grams)
- Fennel powder - ½ spoon (2 grams)
- Turmeric powder - Few pinches
- Asafoetida / Hing - A pinch
- Cumin seeds - ½ spoon (2 grams)
- Salt - 6 grams (As per taste)
- Oil - 150 ml
- Wash chicken pieces well in water and keep aside.
- Add two pinches of saffron to warm milk and set aside.
- Take a wide bowl and add the following ingredients and beat well.
1. Curd - 2 cups
2. Dry ginger powder - ½ spoon
3. Red chilli powder - 1½ spoons
4. Coriander powder - 2 spoons
5. Fennel powder - ½ spoon
6. Turmeric powder - Few pinches
7. Salt - 6 grams (or as per taste)
- Add the chicken pieces to this mixture and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Now heat a pan and add oil to it. After it heats up pick the chicken pieces, remove excess curd and fry them. The curd may get dispersed in oil nothing to worry just fry them until they get half cooked.
- Then remove the pieces from oil. Use the same pan and oil for the remaining procedure or use fresh oil.
- Heat pan with oil and add the cumin seeds and let it splutter. Then add a pinch of asafoetida.
- Now add the curd mixture used for marinating chicken and stir well for few minutes. When oil starts to separate add the fried chicken pieces and stir well.
- Add a cup of water, stir well and cook on medium flame until the chicken pieces turns soft and tender. Check for salt and add if needed.
- After the gravy thickens add the saffron milk and stir well for 2 minutes.
- Finally add the fresh cream and mix well. Remove from flame.
- Garnish with saffron and cream and serve.
TIP 1: Use thick sour-less curd to get better flavors.
TIP 2: I have prepared it mildly spiced but still you can make it spicier if you wish.
TIP 3: Use fresh powders to get the best flavors and aroma. Instead of using chukku powder you can also try adding ginger paste.
Rich Creamy and Delicious Mughlai Murgh is Now ready!! Serve with Rotis or Phulkas and Enjoy!!