When you have no basmati rice and have no extra time but need something to satisfy your taste buds go for this simple chicken biryani. I have used normal cooking rice here and also haven't used any mint leaves or tomatoes, but it tastes so good and yum. No extra efforts needed because we are going to use a pressure cooker for making this biryani. Though the ingredient list seems quite long the preparation method is so easy than the other versions of biryani. You can replace chicken with vegetables and prepare vegetable biryani too. Goes great with spicy sides or just onion raita is more than enough to accompany this one pot meal. Now lets see how to make this delectable and delicious biryani.
INGREDIENTSServes 3-4 people
Total Preparation Time - 25 to 30 minutes
- Rice (I used Ponni rice) - 1 cup (250 grams)
- Chicken - 250 grams
- Coconut milk - 1½ cups (use the same cup to measure rice and coconut milk)
- Big onions - 2
- Green chillies - 8
- Chopped coriander leaves - 1 cup
- Red chilli powder -1½ spoons
- Coriander powder - 1½ spoons
- Turmeric powder - ¼ Spoon
- Ginger-garlic paste - 2 spoons
- Cardamom pods - 5
- Lemon - 1/2 of a lemon
- Bay leaves - 2
- Star anise - 2
- Cloves - 2
- Cinnamon stick - 2 (2 inch long small sticks)
- Fennel seeds - 1 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Ghee - 3 spoons
- Oil - 3 spoons
- Wash chicken pieces and rice well in water. Washing rice helps remove excess starch and therefore avoids stickiness.
- Then take a pressure cooker and place its pan on flame. Add oil and ghee, after it heats up add cinnamon, fennel seeds, cloves, bay leaves, star anise, cardamom pods and saute for a few seconds then add sliced onions and saute on low flame.
- When it turns translucent add slit green chillies, coriander leaves and saute until the leaves shrink.
- Now add the ginger-Garlic paste and saute well. Then add chicken pieces stir well for a minute.
- Then add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and stir well.
- Add coconut milk, lemon juice and washed rice and stir well. Check for salt and add if needed.
- Close the cooker with its lid and wait for steam/pressure to ooze out of the nozzle. Then place weight and cook on low flame for perfectly 7 minutes.
- Then remove from flame and set aside undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Now when all the pressure has released, remove the weight, open the lid and serve!!
TIP 1: Dilute the coconut milk and add do not add thick coconut milk.
TIP 2: You can also soak rice for 10 minutes prior to cooking, but its optional.
TIP 3: Do not substitute chicken with lamb/mutton here, because mutton or lamb will not get cooked soon like chicken does.
Delicious and simple Biryani is now ready!!
Serve with raita (onions in curd) or with your favorite spicy sides!!
Delicious briyani and amazing clicks, love it and wish I can try it now... Using coconut milk for briyani is new to me dear, will try your version soonReplyDelete
Cook like Priya
quick fix & delicious flavorful biriyani,yummy!!ReplyDelete
Join my ongoing EP events-Oregano OR Paprika @ Foodomania
You are always tempting me. Using coconut milk in biryani is new. Nice clicks.ReplyDelete
Great clicks,yummy biryani,makes me hungry.ReplyDelete
Lipsmacking Chicken Biryani. Feeling hungry to see that tempting bowl dear....yummyy.ReplyDelete
Tryuly yummy, mouthwateringReplyDelete
Blog - http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/ShwetaintheKitchen
Delicious and flavorful Biryani..ReplyDelete
I feel so hungry looking at this biryani...looks so yummy...ReplyDelete
simple and delicious!liked it Divya!ReplyDelete
this is so tempting !!! i want to eat this now :PReplyDelete
great pics n recipe :)
Briyani will always taste heaven... :)ReplyDelete
Hey, my hubby is a huge fan of briyani & he's gonna love this! Enjoy your weekend, dear!ReplyDelete
Simply superb, nice clicks..ReplyDelete
Never tried with normal rice.. looks yum.ReplyDelete
Delicious.......I like so much this simple chicken biryani.Interesting part is u made this biryani in the cooker.ReplyDelete
Even i used to prepare the same way...Very easy n delicious...Loved ur tempting clicks:)ReplyDelete
Hi Divya !!!!ReplyDelete
Visiting ur space after a long time. Biryani looks delicious. Your pics are always amazing.
Nice easy way to prepare biryani !! looks so inviting !!ReplyDelete
Delicious,will happily have this flavourful briyani rite now.ReplyDelete
mm chicken priyayai... enjoy divy...ReplyDelete
Join in my first event - FEAST FOR YOUR GURU
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
Love this idea with any rice....I too do sometime. In fact it tastes great too. Briyani looks delicious dear.ReplyDelete
I too do with normal rice sometimes...tastes good...love it....ReplyDelete
Delicious biriyani recipe Divya.ReplyDelete
Looks soo lovely and Tempting..!!ReplyDelete
Looks really nice Divya.. thanks for sharing! I have made pulao with regular rice and stick to basmati for biryani!ReplyDelete
Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen
Delicious one-pot meal, looks fantastic!ReplyDelete
wow yummy chicken biryani Divya.ReplyDelete
- Meg's Delicious Adventures
Hi Divya, visit my blog. An award awaits u. :)ReplyDelete
Beautifully done, Divya! So much flavor in one pot!ReplyDelete