Water melon has a whitish fleshy layer right below the skin i.e., between the red sweet fleshy part and the hard green outer skin. This fleshy white portion is known as the rind, tastes a bit like cucumber and can be used for making stir-fry, curries and side-dishes. It is less sweet than the fleshy red portion of the watermelon, but has the watermelon flavor and when cooked gives a nice flavor. Here I have made a mild spicy side-dish using these watermelon rinds and coconut milk. It goes well as sides with rice accompanied with spicy gravies or curries. My preparation is not much spicy, you can make it spicier if you wish, also you can replace coconut milk with water to make this kootu. It will taste great and if you are a lover of watermelon flavor you will love this too.
To know how to chop the watermelon rinds click here!!
Makes sides for 2 people
Total Preparation Time - 30 to 35 minutes
- Chopped Watermelon Rinds - 250 grams or 1 big cup full (To know how to chop watermelon rinds click here)
- Big onion - 1 medium sized (Mine weighed 65 grams)
- Curry leaves - Few
- Coconut milk - 100 ml (or) Water - 100 ml
- Red chilli powder - 1/4 spoon (2 grams)
- Pepper powder - 1/4 spoon (2 grams)
- Turmeric powder - Few pinches
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 spoon (2 grams)
- Mustard seeds - Few (2 grams)
- Skinned whole black gram - Few (2 grams)
- Salt - As per taste (2 grams)
- Oil - 3 spoons
- Heat a pan add oil and after it heats up add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add skinned black gram and saute.
- Then add cumin seeds and curry leaves saute for few seconds.
- Now add chopped onions and saute until the raw smell leaves and seems translucent.
- Then add salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and saute well for few minutes.
- Now add the chopped water melon rinds and stir well for few minutes.
- Then add coconut milk or water and stir well. Close the pan with a lid and let it cook well for 20 minutes on low flame or else it will get burnt.
- Open the pan and cook until the water content reduces.
- Remove from flame and serve.
TIP 1: The watermelon rinds will take some time to get soft and cooked but it will still have a crisp nature even after it has got cooked well.
TIP 2: If you need to prepare this kootu in few minutes, then pressure cook the chopped watermelon rinds for 10 minutes along with a 1/4 cup of water and little salt. Then use it to make this kootu.
TIP 3: You can also make it look white by avoiding the addition of turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Instead of red chilli powder you can use chopped or slit green chilly.
Click here to check out how to chop watermelon rinds!!