Corn methi pulao is a one pot meal prepared with sweet corn and fenugreek leaves, the duo tastes awesome and gives a fantastic flavor to the pulao. This is one among the best lunch box meal that is easy to make and doesn't need any special sides to accompany it, just some curd or raita will do. The color, aroma and taste is so pleasant and does not upset your taste buds or stomach either. Try this when you get fresh fenugreek leaves (vendhaya keerai) and enjoy its goodness in a tasty pot of rice. Kids will also love this if you wish you can serve it with spicy sides. Sweet corn and fenugreek leaves are very benefiting to health and hence this pulao is a great way to enjoy health in a tasty way. Lets now see how to make this tasty corn methi pulao.
Serves 3 people
Total Preparation Time - 30 minutes
- Basmati rice - 1 cup (200 grams)
- Water - 2 cups (Use the same cup that you have used to measure rice)
- Raw Sweet corn kernels - 1 cup (100 grams)
- Fenugreek leaves / Methi leaves / Vendhaya keerai - 1 small bunch (almost 25 grams)
- Big onion - 1
- Peppercorns / Milagu - 1/4 spoon (Optional)
- Cardamom pods - 3
- Cinnamon stick - 3 (Small sticks)
- Cloves - 3
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Butter - 1 spoon (You can use 2 spoons of oil or a spoon of ghee instead)
- Wash basmati rice well in water. Then add some water to it until it gets immersed well and leave it soaked for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take a pressure cooker and place its pan on heat.
- Add butter and after it melts add peppercorns, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and cloves and saute for a minute on low flame.
- Then add in the sliced onions and saute until it turns translucent or until the raw smell leaves.
- Add in the Methi leaves (fenugreek leaves / vendhaya keerai) and saute well for 2 minutes.
- Now add in the raw (uncooked) sweet corn kernels and saute for a minute.
- Now add the soaked rice and gently give a few stirs, then add 3 cups of water and salt give a stir and close the cooker with its lid.
- Wait until the steam oozes out from the nozzle and then place the weight (cooker whistle) and cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame after 10 minutes and wait until the pressure gets released on its own. Then open the lid and Serve!!
TIP 1: If you need some spiciness you can add half a spoon of chopped green chillies.
TIP 2: I like to add crushed peppercorns to this pulao to give it a peppery flavor; you can do so if you wish or add them whole.
TIP 3: If you have frozen corn kernels thaw them to room temperature and the use them.
Delicious, healthy and delectable Corn Methi Pulao is now ready!! Serve simply with Curd (Dahi/Thayir) or Raitas and Enjoy!!
Here is a simple video illustrating how to prepare corn methi pulao
(forgive me for the amateur taping)