Moong gram dal is a very delicious, simple and easy to make curry type recipe used to accompany Rice and Indian bread varieties. There are many styles and versions and here in my version I have added ridge gourd (Peerkangai) that enhances the flavor and also makes the dal taste more yummy. You can try the same using other lentils like split Bengal gram (Chana dal) and also with split pigeon peas (Toor dal). This is a no oil recipe and so even more healthier. This recipe is so simple that you will have to just dump in all the ingredients pour water and pressure cook that's all. So lets see how to prepare this yummy dal now.
Check out my other dal recipes here!!
Total Preparation Time - 30 minutes
- Split green gram - 150 grams
- Peerkangai / Ridge gourd - 1 (Mine weighed nearly 200 grams)
- Tomatoes - 1
- Big onion - 1
- Green chillies - 2
- Garlic pods - 2
- Coriander leaves - Few
- Cumin seeds - 1 spoon (4 grams)
- Turmeric powder - 2 pinches
- Hing / Asafoetida - 2 pinches
- Salt - As per taste
- Water - 500 ml
- Wash green gram well in water thrice and set aside.
- Peel or scrap the outer skin of ridge gourd and chop into cubes and set aside.
- Take a pressure cooker, and add all the ingredients; green gram, onions chopped into cubes, chopped ridge gourd, chopped tomatoes, slit green chillies, whole peeled garlic pods, turmeric powder, hing, cumin seeds, coriander leaves, salt.
- Then pour 500 ml of water into the cooker and stir well.
- Close the pressure cooker with its lid and place on flame now.
- Wait until the pressure oozes out of the nozzle and place weight. Cook on low flame for 20 minutes.
- Remove from flame and open after pressure releases. If you find it watery place on flame (do not close with lid now) and let it boil well. Then remove from flame once it reaches the desired consistency.
TIP 1: You can also substitute ridge gourd with Bottle gourd (Sorakkai).
TIP 2: Washing the gram thrice will avoid stickiness of the dal.
Delicious paasi paruppu peerkangai kulambu / green gram dal is now ready!! Serve with hot rice and papads or along with any spicy sides!!