Check out my lemon rasam here!!
And for traditional rasam recipe click here!! (How to make Rasam powder is also available in this post)
INGREDIENTSServes 8 servings or 3 people
Total Preparation Time - 15 minutes
- Shallots / Pearl onions / Chinna Vengayam- 10 to 15 (75 grams)
- Tomato - 1
- Tamarind - 8 grams (A big gooseberry sized ball)
- Dry red chillies - 3
- Coriander leaves - A handful
- Curry leaves - Few
- Garlic pods - 3
- Cumin seeds - 1 spoon (4 grams)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 spoon
- Rasam powder - 2 spoon (4 grams)
- Turmeric powder - 3 pinches
- Salt - As per taste
- Water - 600 ml (3 cups)
- Gingelly oil - 3 spoons
- Soak tamarind to 600 ml of water and set aside for 10 minutes. Then mash the tamarind well using your fingers and extract tamarind water and set aside. Discard the pulp.
- Add the following to a blender and blend into a coarse mixture;
1. Shallots - 10
1. Shallots - 10
2. Coriander leaves - Few
3. Curry leaves - Few
4. Garlic pods - 3
5. Cumin seeds - 1 spoon
- Heat a sauce pan or wok and add oil to it. After it heats up add mustard seeds and wait until it splutter.
- Now add dry red chillies and saute.
- Then add the coarse mixture and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add rasam powder, turmeric powder, tomatoes and saute well for 2 minutes.
- Then pour the tamarind water and stir well.
- Add salt and cook on high flame. When you find bubbles on the sides of bowl remove from flame. It takes just few minutes, do not boil too much.
TIP 1: Never let rasam boil for more than 5 minutes after adding tamarind water it will affect the taste of rasam.
TIP 2: Instead of making a coarse mixture you can add chopped onions also.
TIP 3: My rasam is not too tangy so if you want a tangier rasam add more tamarind, also check that your tomatoes are not tangy if so adjust accordingly or else it will become very sour. In case the rasam becomes sour add more rasam powder and water to adjust the taste.
TIP 5: I haven't added peppercorns (milagu) but you can add a spoon of peppercorns while making the coarse mixture.
Soothing and Delicious rasam is now ready!! Serve hot with rice some vegetable stir-fries and papads or have it plain like soup!!