Stuffed capsicum or bell peppers are a real delicacy and can be served as appetizers, snack or even as dinner. Every bite of these are sweet, succulent, juicy and makes you fall in love with it. The stuffing is made with layers of some easily available handy vegetables, eggs and cheese that makes it more delectable and yummier. The egg gets cooked inside the capsicum/bell peppers giving a nice flavor and texture and also the grated cheese added at the top gives you a cheesy bite. This is the easiest and tastiest preparation prepared using an oven; what if you don't have own one and you love to make your stuffed capsicum or stuffed bell peppers at home? Here I have a solution for you. I have prepared these stuffed capsicums using a pressure cooker. Yes!! just a cooker is enough to help you out and make these succulent and juicy stuffed capsicum recipe. I have used the pressure cooker without weight or regulator to produce dry heat and cook the capsicum which is the similar to baking. So it can be simplified as baking without oven. This method gives you the same result similar to the oven results and gives you a nice baked texture to the capsicum/bell peppers. But please read all my instructions and tips carefully before proceeding to avoid any mishaps. This is a fuss free recipe and gives fruitful results and earns you praises if you follow my procedure carefully. Kids will definitely love this recipe obviously these are healthy too and so its helps enjoy health in a yummy way. Vegans can use crumbled paneer or grated paneer instead of eggs, it tastes great too. I don't want to keep you still waiting lets move on to the recipe now.
Serves 1 to 2 people
Total Preparation Time - 30 to 40 minutes minutes
- Capsicum / Bell Peppers - 2 (Any color)
- Eggs - 2
- Sweet red chilli sauce - 2 spoons (or tomato ketchup)
- Grated Mozzarella cheese - 2 to 3 spoons (or any cheese)
- Chopped onions - 2 spoons
- Chopped cabbage - 2 spoons
- Sweet corn kernels - 1 spoon (Optional)
- Coriander leaves - Few
- Red chilli flakes - 2 pinches (Optional)
- Pepper powder - 1/4 spoon
- Salt - As per taste
- Butter - 1 spoon
- Oil - 1 spoon
- Take a capsicum and chop off its cap and remove all the seeds inside the capsicum.
- Take a big bowl of warm water add half a spoon of salt to it and drop in the capsicum and leave soaked for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take a pan add a spoon of oil, after it heats up add chopped onion, cabbage, sweet corn kernels, coriander leaves, salt and pepper powder and saute for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Remove from flame and set aside.
- Take the soaked capsicum and wipe off water from its outer skin. Brush or apply butter on its outer skin.
- Then add a spoon of the cooked vegetables into the capsicum and then spread a spoon of red chilli sauce above this vegetable layer.
- Then break open an egg and pour it into the capsicum above the red chilli sauce layer. See that it does not spill or overflow. There should be some place for cheese layer so do not pour until it is full.
- Now place a layer of grated cheese over the egg layer and see that you spread and cover the egg layer well.
- Now you can either bake it or if you don't have an oven follow the pressure cooker method.
- Take a pressure cooker pan place a steam plate ( a slotted one) inside it. Then keep the stuffed capsicums on this plate and close the cooker with its lid. (Don't use the flat steam plate given for electric cookers use the ones provided along with the normal stove top pressure cookers)
- Don't place the weight/regulator on the cooker lid's nozzle because we are not going to add even a drop of water. (We are going to use dry heat here to cook the capsicum. Please be careful not to place the weight valve or regulator, when you place a weight/regulator with no water inside the cooker, it will explode. Here we are not going to use a weight/regulator so please keep it away)
- Now place the pressure cooker on flame and cook on low flame for about 30 to 40 minutes without placing a weight or regulator.
- Open the cooker's lid after 30 minutes to see if the inside of the capsicum has got cooked. To check this, wet a knife in water and slide it inside the capsicum and take it out, if the egg has got cooked well the knife will be clean.
- If it has not got cooked well then cook for another 10 minutes. It will take 40 minutes to get cooked well.
- Then remove from flame and serve stuffed capsicum whole or chop them before serving.
TIP 1: Please read the procedure carefully to avoid accidents. Never use a weight or regulator for this recipe. If you place a regulator or weight the cooker will explode.
TIP 2: See that the bell peppers are not fully stuffed or else it will spill inside the cooker get burnt and will be difficult while cleaning and will also give a burning smell during preparation.
TIP 3: Do not add water into the cooker, we are not going to steam the bell peppers we are going to cook them in dry heat like an oven type cooking. Also see that the cooker is dry before placing the bell peppers into it. To avoid the presence of water content you can heat the cooker pan alone before placing the stuffed bell peppers for 3 minutes.
TIP 4: The cooker may change in color very slightly, because you are placing it on flame without water. So that is not a problem.
TIP 5: See that the cooker's nozzle through which the steam passes is clear without any blocks inside it. Check everything well before proceeding.
TIP 6: You can add any vegetables of your choice to make the vegetable mixture, you can include grated carrots or peas also.
TIP 7: Finally you can top it with some red chilli flakes and oregano or just red chilli powder and pepper powder or leave it plain. Its all upto your wish, you can also sprinkle some salt. I used red chilli flakes and oregano.
TIP 8: Using grated mozzarella pizza cheese will give you a better cheesy cover at the top but still you can try other cheese also.
Juicy, Succulent and Yummilicious Stuffed Capsicum is now ready!! Vegans can replace eggs with grated paneer..Am sure everyone will love this!!