Aval payasam is a very delicious, easy to make delectable dessert, that has been a hit at my home. I make it in my own style and it has always been a finger-licking dessert. Usually cardamom pods are added to flavor the kheers or payasams, but here I have added rose essence for this particular payasam to make it a more unique one. No one will ever believe that this kheer was made from just flattened rice. Adding condensed milk just enhances the flavor of the kheer and will make you want more. Try it on any special occasions or serve it for your loved ones. Now lets see how to make this delectable dessert!!
Serves 2 people
Total Preparation Method - 10 to 15 minutes
- Aval / Poha / Flattened Rice - 50 grams
- Sugar - 75 grams
- Milk - 400 ml
- Water 200 ml
- Condensed milk - 3 spoons
- Raisins - 1 spoon (optional)
- Chopped nuts - 2 spoons (Cashews, Almonds, Pistachios)
- Rose essence - 1 drop (Optional)
- Ghee - 3 spoons
- Grind aval into a coarse mixture. (Do not grind it into fine powder)
- Pour water into a sauce pan and place on flame. After it boils add the coarse aval mixture and stir well. (Cook on low flame).
- After 2 minutes add half of the milk and sugar and stir well until it dissolves.
- Then add the remaining milk and stir well. If you want you can add some more milk too, adjust according to the thickness you need.
- Now place another pan on flame and add ghee to it, then when it heats up saute the raisins and when it puffs up, remove them with a spoon and add it into the kheer.
- In the same ghee saute cashews and other nuts until the cashews turn slightly brownish, then add them into the kheer.
- Stir well and add condensed milk. Check for sweetness and adjust accordingly. If the kheer has become so sweet add some more milk. If sweetness is not enough add some more condensed milk.
- Now remove from flame and add rose essence and stir well. (If you don't want to add rose essence check tip 2)
- Serve hot or chilled!!
TIP 1: Do not grind the aval (poha) into fine powder, just a coarse grinding will do.
TIP 2: In case you don't want to add rose essence, there are some other options too.
- You can add vanilla essence instead of rose essence.
- Or you can add 3 crushed cardamom pods or 1/4 spoon of cardamom powder.
- If you don't want to go for the above two options then you can soak 2 pinches of saffron strands in warm milk for a few minutes and add it while making kheer.
TIP 3: Chopped cashew nuts are enough but if you want to make it rich you can add some chopped pistachios and almonds.
TIP 4: You can also add coconut milk and prepare the same recipe and avoid condensed milk too.
TIP 5: You can also add coarsely ground sago (javarisi) before adding the aval (poha).
Super delicious and delectable Aval Payasam / Poha Kheer is now ready!! Serve as dessert!! You will love this Kheer!!
Sending this recipe to Jaleela akka's Bachelor's feast
To, Sara's Dish in 30 minutes
And to Siri's First Anniversary Event!
Check out my other kheer recipes here!!
For a quick fix kheer try this Godhumai Maavu Payasam / Wheat Flour Kheer!!
i want it..am hungryReplyDelete
Grab one of the glasses or both Preets :)Delete
Love the clicks ! How did you get the pink color? Is it from the rose water?ReplyDelete
Yeah dear its from the rose essence, not rose water :) Thanks for the appreciations!!Delete
looks different and lovely, first time hearing about this, def goona try this dear:)ReplyDelete
Thanks dear try it and let me know the feedback, am sure you will love this :)Delete
looks so pinky and deliciousReplyDelete
nice yummy colour,ReplyDelete
Looks so yummy.ReplyDelete
Too tempting with color...ReplyDelete
WOW LOOKS DELICIOUS LOVE THAT COLOUR..DROOLING HERE...ReplyDelete
wow i love any indian sweet with rose syrup... lovely pink color and i know why :PReplyDelete
Love the rose flavor in the kheer.. Colorful and very inviting..ReplyDelete
Love this payasam very much, rose syrup in payasam just loving it.ReplyDelete
looks tasty & delicious...mouthwatering!ReplyDelete
delicious payasam especially loved this color frm rose essence....ReplyDelete
Colorful and delicious payasam.ReplyDelete
looks so colourful and yummy.ReplyDelete
Wow looks so delicious and colorful. Lovely clicksReplyDelete
Hi Divya, you know i am searching for rose essence but unfortunately i am not getting it anywhere, your payasam making me drool over here and now i am more desperate to find rose essence to try your payasam soon.ReplyDelete
Hi dear, if you don't get rose essence you can try adding vanilla essence too Pari :) Or cardamom pods will also do :) Thanks for the lovely comment :) Do try it am sure you will love it :)Delete
Lovely sweet treat... and it is so simple ..ReplyDelete
Would love to try this one.. bookmarked..
Thanks dear do try and let me know your feedback :)Delete
Divya so yummy...ReplyDelete
Wow I am drooling here. What a beutiful pink.ReplyDelete
Lovely colorful yummy Payasam. Nice and beautiful tempting clicks.ReplyDelete
Lovely pink payasam. yummy nice clicks too.ReplyDelete
Looks so yummy...you are rocking....ReplyDelete
Divya, I have been hovering over these pics for the past few minutes with an awed expression- delightful to say the least. totally loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee itReplyDelete
beautiful pinky presentation divya :) wish i could taste this yummy yum payasam nowReplyDelete
yummmy recipe...lovely presentationReplyDelete
Love that pink color from the rose essence, makes it more elegant..ReplyDelete
Delicious and tempting kheer...ReplyDelete
Wow.. Rich poha payasam!!! I do the same but din't use condensed milk yet :) Will try it soon!!ReplyDelete
This look absolutely delicious and love the color. Tempting kheer dear. Thanks for linking too.ReplyDelete
Dish In 30 minutes event with Giveaway