Aval payasam is a very delicious, easy to make delectable dessert, that has been a hit at my home. I make it in my own style and it has always been a finger-licking dessert. Usually cardamom pods are added to flavor the kheers or payasams, but here I have added rose essence for this particular payasam to make it a more unique one. No one will ever believe that this kheer was made from just flattened rice. Adding condensed milk just enhances the flavor of the kheer and will make you want more. Try it on any special occasions or serve it for your loved ones. Now lets see how to make this delectable dessert!!
Serves 2 people
Total Preparation Method - 10 to 15 minutes
- Aval / Poha / Flattened Rice - 50 grams
- Sugar - 75 grams
- Milk - 400 ml
- Water 200 ml
- Condensed milk - 3 spoons
- Raisins - 1 spoon (optional)
- Chopped nuts - 2 spoons (Cashews, Almonds, Pistachios)
- Rose essence - 1 drop (Optional)
- Ghee - 3 spoons
- Grind aval into a coarse mixture. (Do not grind it into fine powder)
- Pour water into a sauce pan and place on flame. After it boils add the coarse aval mixture and stir well. (Cook on low flame).
- After 2 minutes add half of the milk and sugar and stir well until it dissolves.
- Then add the remaining milk and stir well. If you want you can add some more milk too, adjust according to the thickness you need.
- Now place another pan on flame and add ghee to it, then when it heats up saute the raisins and when it puffs up, remove them with a spoon and add it into the kheer.
- In the same ghee saute cashews and other nuts until the cashews turn slightly brownish, then add them into the kheer.
- Stir well and add condensed milk. Check for sweetness and adjust accordingly. If the kheer has become so sweet add some more milk. If sweetness is not enough add some more condensed milk.
- Now remove from flame and add rose essence and stir well. (If you don't want to add rose essence check tip 2)
- Serve hot or chilled!!
TIP 1: Do not grind the aval (poha) into fine powder, just a coarse grinding will do.
TIP 2: In case you don't want to add rose essence, there are some other options too.
- You can add vanilla essence instead of rose essence.
- Or you can add 3 crushed cardamom pods or 1/4 spoon of cardamom powder.
- If you don't want to go for the above two options then you can soak 2 pinches of saffron strands in warm milk for a few minutes and add it while making kheer.
TIP 3: Chopped cashew nuts are enough but if you want to make it rich you can add some chopped pistachios and almonds.
TIP 4: You can also add coconut milk and prepare the same recipe and avoid condensed milk too.
TIP 5: You can also add coarsely ground sago (javarisi) before adding the aval (poha).
Super delicious and delectable Aval Payasam / Poha Kheer is now ready!! Serve as dessert!! You will love this Kheer!!
Sending this recipe to Jaleela akka's Bachelor's feast
To, Sara's Dish in 30 minutes
And to Siri's First Anniversary Event!
Check out my other kheer recipes here!!
For a quick fix kheer try this Godhumai Maavu Payasam / Wheat Flour Kheer!!